• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Prior enlisted inquiring about becoming an Officer

GHP

Hi there I am around 6 years prior enlisted Navy currently working on my degree in general business. Since the economy is not too good and many college grads aren't getting jobs out of college that match the blood sweat and tears it took to get their degrees, I was looking into getting info in regards to getting possibly back into the service as an officer. My preference would to go back in the Navy since that is where i came from but I'd give any branch consideration if they were willing to give me a commission.

Take into consideration that I am looking down the road, I still have quite some time before I am through with college, it is smart to have the info available if I decide to take this route with my career.

It there any special programs for prior enlisted that are out there? Are there any age cutoffs? I am concerned about that because I am almost 30 and I will probably be around 34 or so before I earn my degree and I am wondering in I should link up with a reserve unit to reestablish my affiliation with the AF, I am not even IRR anymore. I'm also getting married in the next few months and I am concerned the service may not want to pay the extra money to a servicemen with dependents.

Thanks in advance.

coredukes

None
Im prior service with dependents as well, look into BDCP with the Navy. Im going to school using my MGIB and getting active duty pay to take care of my family; not a bad deal at all.

GHP

^I'm doing the same thing except I'm finishing up a fiance visa with my girl i met while stationed in japan. We kept it going long distance style since i left the kitty hawk in 2003! I'm working and going to school full time, that GI bill money keeps me living pretty nice. I have a good job out here living outside of Phoenix but still I made more money as an E-5 with my housing allowance and comrats than i have in the civilian world. I didn't realize how good i had it in the service until I got out. If i got a commission things would be like 3 times better for me money wise especially if I go back to Japan and do a sea tour.

GHP

So aside from BDCP is there anything else? Right now I'm working full time on top of going to school full time, pretty heavy load. Lets say i obtain my degree and decide to talk to a recruter about a commission, if my GPA, physical standards and test scores are up to par would they recruit me or there more to it? If I go back in the service a commission is the only way for me. I have such a gap in service at this point i wouldn't come back in as an E-3 or E-4 and work my way up the ranks again been there done that, I'd probably be shooting for Cheif if I never got out lol.

I have three years to properly put things together, I still have plenty of school to get through. They probably want to see that I have 4 year university credits, I've been going to community college to save money. A business degree is pretty intense though, maybe that would be put into consideration.

kidday03

Is there a reason that you would not want to do BDCP? My husband did 4 years Active duty and got out as an E-5. He applied for BDCP (Supply) and was accepted. This would help you out a lot and you would not have to have a full time job. In BDCP you are technically on active duty, you get paid just as if you were. He did BDCP for two years and got paid as a Sgt/E-5 the whole time so that he did not have to work. He used his MGIB. I wish I would have applied for BDCP as he did, I decided to finish school first then apply.