• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRK Vision.

HarveyBirdman

Okay, So whats the Speed of Dark?
Hey! Its nice to find such a great forum,but I'm really new to all this and I need some serious Information......
---------------------
So I plan to transfer from my local College to a Universty with Nrotc, its all gravy but I have vision problems that im scared is going to stop me from flying.

I read that the Academy is doing free PRK Vision surgery..But what does this mean for us Nrotc students?

According to this Artical from May 2006,http://www.usaeyes.org/lasik/library/navy-prk-fighter-pilots.htm
"Rotc students do not qualify for the procedure beacuse they are not considered active duty personnel until they
are commissioned, by which time their service assignment already is determined"

What are Aspiring Rotc Navy pilots to do? Are we doomed to be Thrusted into the nuclear program?

How do I get PRK while in the Rotc and all before my assignment is determined?

Shakey

I'm talkin, G-5...!
pilot
I know plenty NROTC Midshipmen who have had PRK. I don't think it was on the taxpayers, but who cares, they're now eligible for pilot. You need to talk to an officer recruiter and obviously an eye doc. The surgeon must be approved by the Navy before the operation, or you could be disqualified. Get in touch with the Officer recruiter first to find out the exact proceedure.

UMichfly

pilot
None
If you've searched much at all you've probably also seen stuff on here about the contact lens waiver. It's a little more risky selection-wise than PRK but much more affordable if you can get it. I'll let you know how easy it is to get it here in about 2 months when I come up due for mine.