• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Professional Aviation

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
With xnvyflyr's recent thread about Class E extension airspace, I thought I would share some resources I have recently found about flying. I figure discussing aviation specific topics every so often can only make us better and safer aviators. Especially since many of these topics can drop off the radar in the fleet when focusing on tactics, 3710, etc.

Both of these sources are from the same site, but they are both great.

The first one is a brief from the AF Advance Instrument School about flying in cold weather. Specifically, the effect that cold weather has on an altimeter, and the reduced safety margins when flying in IMC.

www.terps.com/cold

The second one is a set of articles focusing on specific IFR issues designed to be refreshers on IFR topics.

http://www.terps.com/ifrr/welcome.html

If something strikes you as important, interesting, a great "did ya know" or if you have a question, start a new thread. Reviewing basic aviation fundamentals can only be good for all of us.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Nice. Here's something I used for GA when I was too lazy/cheap to get the real thing (I always flew with the real deal however). These are air charts online: http://skyvector.com/

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Great for studying low levels . . . Sometimes the VFR sectional shows certain areas better than the TPC . . .

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Does anyone know a place I can get OCONUS airport diagrams? Skyvector, while awesome, doesn't want to give me something that isn't a U.S. territory and I don't really want to have to go into work.

Any love?

NA29697

You can use this website:

http://gc.kls2.com/cgi-bin/gclookup?Q=XXX

for international airports but the best I have found was "google map/satellite" for airport diagrams.

The search line doesn't need an ICAO or FAA identifier; you can search "Paris, France" and find Charles de Gaulle airport from there (for example).

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Unfortunately, the first link has an out of date diagram that is smaller than than the actual image. The problem w/ Google Maps is there's no taxiway info/freqs integrated on one piece of paper. I hate having to ask "Which one is Alpha..." on the radio.

I was just trying to build a mini-smart pack that I could throw on my kneeboard w/out having to manage approach plates in an already cramped cockpit. Looks like I'll just have to make copies at work.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Does anyone know a place I can get OCONUS airport diagrams? Skyvector, while awesome, doesn't want to give me something that isn't a U.S. territory and I don't really want to have to go into work.

Any love?

I never found anything like airnav for OCONUS sites, other than maybe some AF/USA locally produced pubs, despite all my looking. Because there are some times such a site would have been fantastic.

MasterBates

Are you going to AUTEC or is it some other place you can't mention?

PM me, one of the SWTIs in 42-48 might be able to help you depending on the OPAREA you need.

magnetfreezer

Unfortunately, the first link has an out of date diagram that is smaller than than the actual image. The problem w/ Google Maps is there's no taxiway info/freqs integrated on one piece of paper. I hate having to ask "Which one is Alpha..." on the radio.

I was just trying to build a mini-smart pack that I could throw on my kneeboard w/out having to manage approach plates in an already cramped cockpit. Looks like I'll just have to make copies at work.

https://dbgia.geointel.nga.mil/ (can be accessed from home but needs CAC) -> Airport Directory can generate PDF smart pack with user selectable charts, info, approaches, etc.