• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Promotion to 0-6 and Astronauts

John Laurens

Hi,

What is the additional service commitment, if any, if someone is selected to promotion to 0-6 (Captain for the Navy, full Colonel for the other services)?

Also, I not that a number of NASA astronauts who are also active duty in the military have been promoted to 0-6 while with NASA, but never attended a war college. Is not a requirement to have attended a war college to be promoted to 0-6? If so, are there exceptions made for astronauts?

Thanks.

MGoBrew11

pilot
Dude, at 20 years old you do not need to be worrying about this. I promise you.

If you want to be an astronaut just be the best at everything you do.

As a quick answer to your rank question: making rank doesn’t typically incur extra commitment. Accepting certain orders and/or taking monetary bonuses does.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
O-6 (as well as O-5) promotion requires 3 years time in service in order to retire in said paygrade. Otherwise, someone can request to retire at next lower grade.

War College isn't a specific requirement for promotion. Many folks go there as an "easy" means to get a masters degree + JPME (Joint Professional Military Education) within a year. There's obviously many ways to earn a masters as well as complete JPME outside of the Naval War College.

Astronaut career path is a whole other world... literally.

As what @MGoBrew11 said, this is all things you don't need to worry right now. Focus on getting into the Navy (via OCS) first...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
23217o-jpg.34893
23217o.jpg

Last edited:

Renegade One

None
I not[e] that a number of NASA astronauts who are also active duty in the military have been promoted to 0-6 while with NASA, but never attended a war college. Is not a requirement to have attended a war college to be promoted to 0-6? If so, are there exceptions made for astronauts?

Thanks.
Exceptions for many things....this is just one. I guess it falls under the rubric of "needs of the service/exigent circumstances". Many "Nuclear Power qualified" aviators, en route to or actually in CVN commands, don't have the time available in their career pipelines to attend a war college or get a meaningful "joint qualification tour". Typically, after squadron command at the O-5 level, for those who are academically qualified and have had successful command tours and get screened for the Nuc pipeline, their lives become outrageously busy with Nuc Power school, CVN XO tour, deep-draft command and then CVN command. There's only so much $#!t you can cram into a 5 pound bag.

We're fortunate that the Navy and the DoD understand and make exceptions for those exceptional folks.

HuggyU2

None
My former commander at Beale AFB went to NASA as an O-4... made O-7 at NASA... came BACK to the regular Air Force... and retired as a 4-star.

If you're a quality candidate, anything is possible.

John Laurens

Thanks all for the replies. I get that I am getting way ahead of myself with the questions, but I am simply curious. That being said, what happens if someone completed 20 to 23 years as an 0-5, and decided to turn down 0-6 because they did not want to be active duty anymore? Could such a person stay in the reserves and make 0-6 in the reserves? If so, I assume that would take longer than if they stayed active?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Thanks all for the replies. I get that I am getting way ahead of myself with the questions, but I am simply curious. That being said, what happens if someone completed 20 to 23 years as an 0-5, and decided to turn down 0-6 because they did not want to be active duty anymore? Could such a person stay in the reserves and make 0-6 in the reserves? If so, I assume that would take longer than if they stayed active?

They would retire.

20 years of active duty service means you’re retirement eligible.

Once again, cart before the horse here with crazy situational questions. Additionally, what might be current now may change in say 25 years when it’s your turn…

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Also, I not that a number of NASA astronauts who are also active duty in the military have been promoted to 0-6 while with NASA, but never attended a war college. Is not a requirement to have attended a war college to be promoted to 0-6? If so, are there exceptions made for astronauts?

Astronaut career path is a whole other world... literally.

@FormerRecruitingGuru is pretty much correct. I had a former XO who did a tour at BUPERS who helped handle some Navy astronaut-related personnel stuff and said that they were automatically promoted when they were eligible as long as they were astronauts, and as long as they kept out of trouble.

FormerRecruitingGuru

@FormerRecruitingGuru is pretty much correct. I had a former XO who did a tour at BUPERS who helped handle some Navy astronaut-related personnel stuff and said that they were automatically promoted when they were eligible as long as they were astronauts, and as long as they kept out of trouble.

Makes sense, especially with the investment and $$$ put into their training.