• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRT Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

kent1644

I was just wondering what the Navy considers a curl up. Do you have to do a full sit up or is it just crunches. How far do you have to go up for it to count? Also do you have to put your hands behind your head or over your chest. If anyone could answer these questions I would sure appreciate it.

ryan77

Also, I had to loop my thumbs on the inside of my shirt collar. If your thumb comes free of this grip, the situps are over.

AdamS

Does anyone else find this just ridiculously inefficient? Scientific studies show that crunches(ie, not letting your back touch the floor before going back up)is much MORE effective than the alternate-which is proven to excaserbate(sp?) back problems, etc.

GAH!! I am only at about 50 right now, but I have several weeks left to get it in the 80's.

JTP

During one of my Fathers PRT's while in the NAVY they made him do his curl-ups with his legs extended, he pulled his back out twice. Since, he has had three back operations. Watch out for those, and try to get out of doing them if you can. I'm pretty sure the NAVY has recognized these injuries and has halted the exercise, but you never know.

YEAH COME ON!!

Gator

The curlups that the Navy now requires to be done for the PRT are far better for you than a regular situp (as used to be done in the Corps). If done properly the curlup is actually what most people refer to as a crunch. The problem is not really the exercise itself, but the way inwhich the test is administered. When a time limit is placed on the event, the individual concentrates more on quantity and not quality of the exercise. One way the Navy could counter this adverse affect would be to simly do away with the time limit. Instead allow the individual to complete as many repetitions as possible without stopping.
Then again with sufficient abdominal strength an individual can do the max number required for a perfect score in the given amount of time. However, most people (myself included) don't have the strength to do so. I guess that until the Nave changes all we can do is keep working on it.

SmithS

Hey AdamS,
I did a time trial yesterday and I got 55 curl ups so don't feel bad about not getting in the 80's. Plus, you only have to get 46 to pass in the In PRT, you'll be doing plenty of them to prepare for the out PRT.

SaraCoffman

You can visit the Naval Aviation Schools Command to find out about PRT standards. The website is: https://www.cnet.navy.mil/nascweb/ocs/ocs_phystraining.htm

I've been working out at the gym on the local Navy Submarine base lately. The trainer who works there, he is also the PT coordinator for his command, said that the standards will be changing in Oct/Nov timeframe. While doing push-ups we have to keep our head up and look straight ahead. We also have to go down a few inches from the ground; there should only be about a fists distance between the ground and our chest. And normally, while we do the curl-ups we will have a partner holding our feet down. This puts even more strain on the back; I guess the Navy likes to issue the disablity checks to former Sailors.

robv182

Gotta have the Nutz
None
For the complete and official word go to www.bupers.navy.mil then select instructions, select OPNAV/SECNAV instructions, directives iondex, and then select the OPNAV 6110.1F. It breaks it down so even a sailor can understand it.

Edited by - robv182 on 08/07/2002 14:15:53

Status
Not open for further replies.