• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Prt

jtellez

I'm headed off to start NROTC this August at VMI. One quick question I have is what is usually expected of incoming NROTC freshmen on the PRT. I been training for VMI and NROTC since last November and I've come a long way, lost nearly 60 lbs, and improved on my running, pushups and curlups/situps, but I'm no where near a perfect 300 score. I was just wondering if NROTC units expect 300 scores right off the bat, because although I can't do it now, I'm gonna continue to bust my ass trying to reach the maximums. Also, how soon do NROTC middies take their first test?

All the my nrotc unit has sent so far is a chart stating what are the minimums and the maximums. It wasn't that useful because I have the full charts already. Basically I know that the minimums have to be met no matter what, which isn't a problem at all for me, but I just am wondering what most people score when they start and what types of scores are middies expected to start with.

Thanks for any help.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Don't worry, by the time we get done with Cadre Week, we'll be ready for the PRT. Should've come to STP, man, it was a blast. :)

STLEngineer

pilot
I wasn't in NROTC, but I was in AFROTC for a couple of years.

In AFROTC, they were just happy you passed your first one. While VMI may be different, not many get the perfect 300 during any of their 4-5 years of college (when I was in AFROTC it was out of 400 or 500, so it may have been even more difficult). I'm sure you'd stand out with a 225-250 on your first one.

jtellez

Thats a bit of relief, I'm just hoping that a decent passing score will be okay for now, so long as they see that I will be busting my ass to try to reach the maxes.

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
I didn't go to VMI but I can tell you for a fact the Navy won't give you any crap so long as you pass.

Do your best on it and keep working to improve. It sounds like you've made some major strides so far.

Shakey

I'm talkin, G-5...!
pilot
I seriously doubt anyone will get a 300 right off the bat - that takes a lot of work. For our Orientation, they gave us an inventory PRT - for our own reference. The real one came much later in the semester, so we had plenty of time to improve in necessary. Just keep at it. The PRT portion counts a lot more the Marines than the Navy. Not everyone is a PT stud. It's better to be well rounded, rather than a rock star in one area and be lagging in another.

nrotcbruin

You seem like you are on the right track...most freshmen I saw coming in weren't prepared except for those that trained during the summer. The more you prepare the better.

I can tell you from personal experience that over your four years, if you put in time and energy you can definitely improve. I went from failing my first PRT during my O-week to getting Medium/High Outstandings during my senior year.