• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pt. Mugu

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
OK, so I got surprised this week when they told me that I would be leaving sunny Norfolk :sleep_125 for Pt. Mugu, CA. Does anyone know anything about it? All I know is where it exists on the map. Any help would be appreciated.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know it's a huge pain in the a$s to get a pizza delivered to the Q after 10pm. Plan accordingly.

titoj

Future former Wall Street-er
I'm a civilian, but I was just out there last weekend for the airshow. None of the folks I spoke to had anything bad to say about it. It's not far from LA, Santa Monica, Santa Barbara, etc..

I also noticed that the housing on Port Hueneme looked a lot better than on Pt. Mugu..

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Shot a bunch of HARM there - good times. One of the other ECMOs on the det went to In & Out and ordered a 10x10 (animal of course). Watching him stuff that into his cake-hole was also good times.:D

Brett

airgreg

low bypass axial-flow turbofan with AB driver
pilot
Mugu/Ventura is a great area. Santa Barbara to the north, LA to the south. You are near LA, but you are not living in LA (which can be a plus). Decent surfing/beaches. Lots of stuff to do. To each his own, but Mugu would be one of my top choices for duty stations in CONUS.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

ip568

None
Sunscreen. Lots and lots of sunscreen. SPF 90 or so. And reptile anti-venom. And Gold Bond Anti-Itch Extra Strength. A good dustbuster to keep the sand in your quarters below ankle level. LOTS of socks. And gin. Lots of gin.

And this will help:

thorazine_ampules.jpg

Have fun!

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
You'll like it. Cost of living is higher than Norfolk/Va Beach, but that's SoCal in general. You're about 10-15 mins north of Malibu (the PCH runs right in front of the base). LA (Hollywood/Santa Monica) is about 50 mins away. Santa Barbara is about 45 mins north. Ventura is about 15 mins. You're on the edge of the LA metro area, so there's plenty of stuff to do without having to put up with all the headaches.

If you're married, I'd recommend the Port Hueneme housing over Mugu's (like titoj said). All housing should be rehab'ed by now, but the Hueneme housing is better in my opinion. It's about 10-15 mins from Mugu. Decent townhouses avail in Oxnard. Alexan Parc Rose is/was like VAW central, but the mgmt was pretty clueless sometimes. Left in early 2004, so no idea about now.

Base has what you "need" but not everything you'd like. Only a 9-hole beater golf course, but the Seabee course at Hueneme is okay. No O'club, just an open afternoon at the small club "room" at the BOQ on Wed afternoons. Pretty spartan, but Nicki the bartender is cute (but married), but she makes a point to look out for us. It's nothing like the Sewells Point club and definitely not P'cola, so don't get your hopes up.

The exchange on Mugu is small. Actually, to say it's small gives it a lot of credit. The commissary is closed. Hueneme has the real exchange and commissary, as well as the only PSD. The squadron DK's (now all PN's) will usually make a point of coming over once or twice a week to the hangar, so unless you need a new ID card, you'll rarely if ever need to go to PSD (it's around back from the Exchange, past McDonalds).

The hangar is fairly new (read: refurbished). The squadrons have only been in it since late 2001. It has a SCIF downstairs where the wing WTU guys work (you'll get to know them). Sim bldg is about a block from the hangar.

Lunch choices are limited. Hope you like Subway, Mickey D's, and the base pizza joint. I will say (believe it or not), the base galley (aka "cheap chow") isn't bad at all. Camarillo airport also has a diner that's pretty popular with us, and they see a lot of squadron guys pretty regularly. It's about 10 mins away. "The truck" rolls through the hangar parking lot each morning too. All types of grilled stuff. The breakfast burritos are pretty good - all cooked to order.

Nightlife...hmmm. Some places to hit in Ventura, some in Thousand Oaks or Simi Valley. Truth be told, I was gone for about 2 out of the 3 years I was stationed there (we got the good deal OEF extended deployment, 6 month turnaround, extended Westpac to cover Korea during OIF). Santa Barbara has plenty of stuff to do, plus lots of girls due to UCSB.

All in all, pretty nice. Most people don't even realize there's Navy anywhere near them (except literally right around Oxnard/Pt Hueneme/Camarillo). Definitely not overrun like Norfolk or San Diego.

You'll have fun. Know what squadron you're going to?

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Oh, and it's in the 70s and sunny more often than not. Beats the hell out of 90's and humid or snow anyday. It gets cool in the winter, but def. not cold like the east coast.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
And if you care some of the best Duck hunting in California is on base.

Pugs

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
It's awesome out there - huge surfing scene obviously. Great locale for rock climbing, anything outdoors. Santa Barbara wine country, beautiful women, great food and restaurants, what's not to like.

FOr some of the best sushi you will ever find - try Sushi Marina in downtown Ventura. Last time I was there, Heather Locklear (sp?) was there eating two tables over. No kidding.

If you are single all the better - single 20 and 30 something women infest the area.