• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pulling Together Quality Letters of Recommendation

Hello everyone, this is my first post to air warriors.

Been lurking for a while and I've noticed a few threads/sporadic posts about what NRC are looking for in letters of recommendation with a lot of conflicting answers. As far as I can tell you need 3 LoRs. I have a pool of former professors/employers I could ask, including a few ex-CIA, DHS and State Department employees who know me well (no military unfortunately). My hesitation right now is with whether to consider asking high-profile people I'm not as directly associated with but might remember me, like Senators or Ambassadors. I imagine the NRC doesn't care a whole lot about letters from important people just in themselves, so I hope the content would mention my participation in projects they supported and bring it together that way.

In more general terms, what does NRC want to see from the letters? My impression is they serve to confirm other parts of the application with real examples of your initiative, ability to work in teams, academic accomplishments, adaptability, etc.

My first choice job is SWO. I'm at early stages of putting my packet together. I haven't taken the ASTB yet and still have a lot of other issues to work out but I thought this question was better to ask sooner than later. I'll be meeting my recruiter soon and will see if I can post that feedback.

Get your letters from former employers and if you want, grab one or two character letters from acquaintances or colleagues. You really don't need too much. I submitted my package with just three from my former employers, and they weren't exactly senators, I can tell you that.

In all honesty, the board doesn't really look at the letters. They only have a minutes or so per package, so instead, focus on crushing the ASTB and making sure your GPA is good.

Best of luck.