• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Q-2 Takes the Fight to the Enemy!

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
I'll let others who are closer to the situation weigh in with more details after the (literal) dust settles, but it seems that VMAQ-2 acquitted itself well in a pretty stiff firefight at Bagram last week. The motto "Every Marine a Rifleman" came true in spades!!

Below is the official comment on the situation:

http://www.marines.mil/unit/2ndMAW/mag14/vmaq2/Pages/cocomments2.aspx

Marine Tactical Electronic Warfare Squadron 2

Update 25 May 2010

Dear Families and Friends of VMAQ-2,
Five days have passed since the insurgent attack on our camp at Bagram Air Base. During that time, our two squadron casualties have been treated for their injuries and flown to the United States for further treatment and recovery. Our Marines are in stable condition, in the company of their families, and receiving the finest medical treatment available to our nation's wounded warriors at the National Naval Medical Center in Bethesda, Maryland.

After a thorough review of the events of the 19th, I can state with great pride that our two wounded Marines, Gunnery Sergeant Milledge Wilson and Lance Corporal Ben Stellick, through their brave and decisive actions disrupted the enemy's planned attack and undoubtedly saved the lives of others in their efforts. Our prayers and thoughts are with our wounded Marines and their families. May they have a swift and complete recovery.

Our mission here in support of Operation ENDURING FREEDOM continues with professionalism and determination. On behalf of every Marine and Sailor in VMAQ-2, I again thank you for the concern, love, and support you have given and will continue to give us as we remain focused on mission accomplishment.

Sincerely,
LtCol Caruso

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Families and Friends of VMAQ-2,
In the early morning hours of Wednesday, May 19th, groups of insurgents attacked Bagram Air Base at a number of points around the base perimeter, to include the fence line immediately in front of our squadron camp. At 4:15 a.m. local time, our squadron guards heard insurgents attempting to climb the barriers along the perimeter in front of our camp. They sounded the alarm and exchanged fire with the insurgents. Our guard force, joined by other squadron Marines, held back the enemy along the fence line for several minutes until the attack was defeated. During this fire fight, two of our squadron Marines were wounded by enemy grenades. All insurgents who attempted to breach our fence line were killed by friendly forces. This attack near our camp lasted for about 15 minutes, though attacks in other parts of the base extended later into the morning. The families of our wounded Marines have been notified of their injuries and their current status.

Both Marines are in stable condition, have received medical treatment for their injuries, and are enroute to the United States for further treatment and recovery. All other squadron Marines and Sailors are unharmed and in good spirits.

As we continue our mission here in support of Operation ENDURINGFREEDOM, I take great personal and professional satisfaction in knowing that our Marines and Sailors acted quickly and properly in defending against this attack. The base and camp defenses are strong, your Marines and Sailors are standing their posts with courage and pride, and we continue to be vigilant against any future threats to our safety and security. Thank you for the caring and support you have given and will continue to give to our squadron and your loved ones as we carry on with our mission.

Sincerely,
LtCol Caruso

NightVisionPen

In transition
pilot
Glad to hear they are going to be okay. Also glad to hear how the base as a whole responded. Have to love Marines!

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
"They're just fucking with us, right? I'm not ready for this shit, man..."

full-metal-jacket-ps02.jpg

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
I've always been a sucker for 'Animal Mother' ... :)

fmjanimalmother.jpg

That makes me miss my M60 :-( I rode with the 60 mounted on my gun truck for a year in Iraq. Never let me down, and the thing could put some lead down range when it had to.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So you can stop calling the Prowler guys nerds now. :icon_tong

Nicely done.