• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Q's regarding Naval Sea Cadets

jpa140

I was at work the other day reading the paper and read an article about the Naval Sea Cadets. I was just wondering if volunteering for this program will help in any way in becoming a Naval Officer. The article stated adult volunteers are welcome to join. I already contacted the public affairs officer in charge of this program and he already sent me an e-mail about the next meeting.

Is this program really worth it???

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
I don't have any experience with the Sea Cadets in particular, but as a member of CAP I have to say that if you join any program this late in the game with just the thought of "how will this look on an application?" then you wont benifit very much.

These kinds of things stand out on applications more when you can show what you've achieved as a part of that program.

JSnake

A friend of mine in the Navy recommended I volunteer in the Sea Cadets to learn more about the Navy and get ahead of the game before going to OCS. It may not help you get selected, but I think it definitely would be a nice way to learn and soak in some things before OCS.

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
Having witnessed both the Sea cadets and CAP side by side, I'll have to say that the Sea Cadets don't fair very well. As goofy as they are, CAP cadets are usually much more disciplined and corraled than their Sea Cadet counter parts. Plus, even though they're AF affiliated, CAP is aviation centric which is more useful if that's your future goal.

If you choose to accel and participate in CAP rather than checking the box simply to get it on your resume, you'll find they have a ton of activites and camps to participate in during the summer.

Again, it's what you make of it, but every time I've seen Sea Cadets, they looked like a bunch of mis-matched bums with no parental supervision. My opinion only.

MR-

nzachman

Yeah, well. The Dude abides.
Having witnessed both the Sea cadets and CAP side by side, I'll have to say that the Sea Cadets don't fair very well. As goofy as they are, CAP cadets are usually much more disciplined and corraled than their Sea Cadet counter parts. Plus, even though they're AF affiliated, CAP is aviation centric which is more useful if that's your future goal.

If you choose to accel and participate in CAP rather than checking the box simply to get it on your resume, you'll find they have a ton of activites and camps to participate in during the summer.

Again, it's what you make of it, but every time I've seen Sea Cadets, they looked like a bunch of mis-matched bums with no parental supervision. My opinion only.

MR-

One of the main reasons I chose Naval Aviation as a career is CAP. I joined when I was 15 and now I am less than 24 hours away from leaving for OCS.

jpa140

do you guys have a link where i can get more info about CAP?

The sea cadet program just kinda interests me just because I was looking into SWO or Supply community.