• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Qualifications

Status
Not open for further replies.

ocjams

Just a quick question:

As an Ensign on stash duty, maybe at a squadron somewhere, are there any qualifications that we can get before starting flight school? Ground quals, maintenance quals, anything?? I'm hoping to make the best of my stash time and I think getting a few quals outta the way early will help me out later...and more importantly, alleviate some of the boredom.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I doubt it - you won't be even able to stand SDO at a fleet squadron I think.

I would suggest focusing on some practical stuff - maintenance procedures, paperwork, "How is a MAF processed", "How is an aircraft descrepency book organized". etc...

and then maybe do a simple squadron project for ops for something. Most of all have fun.

...but be carefull you don't carry your newly aquired fleet wisdom to the training command. That will get you in trouble for sure!

The "quals" that a Shoe has to endure and the SWO community lives and breathes by don't carry over well to aviation. You will have "quals" later in your career but they will be based on your designation as a Naval Aviator and pilot (NFO) - e.g 2P, aircraft commander, section lead, FCF pilot, etc

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
nope not really. The important quals you should work on are (not in order of precidence) which will aid you in becoming a great naval aviator
1- Beer qual
2- Nap qual
3- Hard liquor qual
4- beach qual (if there is on around you)

In all honesty the best thing that could happen being stashed at a sqd, is getting some rides and being around actual aviators. Don't sweat it, you will have plenty of time to study and hate life later.

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
Dude, if you want to do something (not sure why you would, but if you do) then take advantage of tuition assistance and take a night class or two.

I got one masters class knocked out (not sure why I did, I just did). Now I've only got a bunch more to go.

jmac12

I would agree with with bch. This is the last time that you will have absolutely no responsibility other than to muster once or twice a week and stay out of the police blotter. enjoy it. If you get sent to a squadron, get a few rides, but there are no aviation related quals you could get pre api that I know of. Enjoy pensacola, and surrounding areas if that is where you are, because, while you may think it sucks when you get there, there are many navy places that are much worse, ie NAS Lemoore.

John

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I was a stash Ensign at Schools Command for about 8 months. During that time, I drank hard and partied hard........oh yeah, chased women as well. Not sure what else anyone would want to do anyway :confused:

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I was stashed there awaiting AI as well the first few months as a newly minted Ensign. OMG the women and the blender drinks at the SandShaker...ahhhh! One of the more enjoyable summers in my life.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I will say though, on top of what I mentioned that if you really want to make a good impression and get ahead so to speak.........check in, in either your choker whites or dress blues. Trust me on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.