• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question about 2 Yr scholarship

A.E.

Hi,

My question is pretty straightforward: Is it noticeably more difficult to obtain a 2 year scholarship over a 3 year scholarship?

On a different note, can you sign on as a college programmer for your junior - senior years and become commissioned?

BlackBearHockey

go blue...
As long as you have a proven track record of academic success you should be competitive for a two year. I have seen pretty much all college programmers pick up at least a two year scholarship; however I have seen more pick up a three year scholarship, although all of those students were a college programmer since their fourth class year. I would recommend talking with the NROTC unit before the start of your junior year. If you just finished up your sophmore year now, speak with them in the next few weeks, as it will help them get to know you and work effectively to get you a scholarship. You would need to have your citizenship status solidified before then, and it can be a somewhat lengthy process, so start it sooner than later.

A.E.

Hi,

My citizenship came through earlier this year so that base is covered.

Should I talk to a recruiter or the NROTC unit first?

Thanks for helping out, by the way.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
It has been years for me, I picked up my two year scholarship back in 90. I felt it was easier for me being I was in the NROTC program as a CP and my SAT scores were not part of the process as I recall (my SAT score sucked ass). Just my GPA and recommendation from the unit. To me, I felt it wasn't that difficult. Maybe, things have changed in how they do it?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Hi,

My citizenship came through earlier this year so that base is covered.

Should I talk to a recruiter or the NROTC unit first?

Thanks for helping out, by the way.

The recruiter will probably send you to the NROTC Unit. So the answer is go to your NROTC unit.

Sentinelj5

So the answer is go to your NROTC unit.

As Rufio said go to the Unit at your university because I have found that most recruiters don't know a great deal about NROTC and will try to sell you on enlisting (aka their job). The guys at the NROTC Unit should be much more helpful

I have found that in our unit it is just as easy to get a 2 year scholarship as a 3 year scholarship, but the people who pick those up are usually college programmers who have been involved in unit activites since their freshman year, although we did have one mid pick up a 3 year scholarship without being part of the unit.

As for advanced standing college program (Junior and Senior years) we haven't had anyone get picked up for advanced standing in over 3 years, I just don't think they have the need for more officers coming from NROTC than they have scholarships for.

KVS89

Sorry to bust in here, but I was wondering if SAT/ACT scores are a part of the process for applicants who are already college students, not high school students applying for the 4 year scholarship.

BlackDog421

Life's a garden. Dig it.
As Rufio said go to the Unit at your university because I have found that most recruiters don't know a great deal about NROTC and will try to sell you on enlisting (aka their job). The guys at the NROTC Unit should be much more helpful

I have found that in our unit it is just as easy to get a 2 year scholarship as a 3 year scholarship, but the people who pick those up are usually college programmers who have been involved in unit activites since their freshman year, although we did have one mid pick up a 3 year scholarship without being part of the unit.

As for advanced standing college program (Junior and Senior years) we haven't had anyone get picked up for advanced standing in over 3 years, I just don't think they have the need for more officers coming from NROTC than they have scholarships for.

I'm also trying to find out as much as I can about the 2 and 3 year scholarships. I am trying to decide which way to choose to become an officer, and I am leaning toward NROTC, but I won't be attending a college that offers that program at least for my first year. When you say they were involved in the unit, does that mean they were at the same college and participated in activities, or did they somehow participate while attending a different school.. What advice would you give for transferring schools on a two year scholarship?