• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question about ASTB and jobs you put down on your officer application

uhmanda85

Okay I have searching online for how the ASTB score is calculated. I dont understand how the four scores( ex. 5/7/7/7= 57). Anyone know where to look or how its calculated. Also when I was filing out my officer application packet I was unsure about some jobs and my processor said just put them down its not that big of a deal. Your score on the ASTB will inform us what you would qualify for anyways. Is this true or is he blowing smoke?

SynixMan

Mobilizer Extraordinaire
pilot
Contributor
Okay I have searching online for how the ASTB score is calculated. I dont understand how the four scores( ex. 5/7/7/7= 57). Anyone know where to look or how its calculated. Also when I was filing out my officer application packet I was unsure about some jobs and my processor said just put them down its not that big of a deal. Your score on the ASTB will inform us what you would qualify for anyways. Is this true or is he blowing smoke?

If you're talking about what communities to apply for, don't let them talk you into putting things down you don't want to do. Don't worry about "what looks good to the board".

ryan1234

Also when I was filing out my officer application packet I was unsure about some jobs and my processor said just put them down its not that big of a deal.

Dude - if you put down a job, you should want the job and know all about it.. otherwise don't put it down and con the board into making them think you actually want a job that someone else actually wants.

No offense, but it sounds like you should consider taking a hard look at what exactly it is that you want to do. It would suck being in a job that you hate...especially knowing there's other people out there that would love to do it.

jtmedli

pilot

That's not a bad score at all. You don't "qualify" for certain jobs based on that score. This isn't like the enlisted side where they set a minimum ASVAB for every MOS. It's part of a much larger application package that you use to 'apply' for the job. For example, you compile your package (take ASTB, get LORs, do security clearance, etc..) and submit that package to a selection board that convenes for each designator. You could very easily get picked up for one, 2, all 3, or none for that matter based on how the selection board sees you compared to your competition (other application packages).

Do NOT put down (read: apply) for any job that you wouldn't be happy taking or wouldn't genuinely want if selected for when the time comes. And always remember that it's your career and think of it as you're the only one who cares about it. Be proactive about things and make sure they are done on time (on your end and on the OR's end).