• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question about Drownproofing

niketaylor

Can someone answer my question?

I'm about to give my OR my application and was wondering if checking no on the question where is asks "can you stay a float at least 5 minutes" can it hurt your application? Or should I check yes and learn how ahead of time?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

I'm about to give my OR my application and was wondering if checking no on the question where is asks "can you stay a float at least 5 minutes" can it hurt your application? Or should I check yes and learn how ahead of time?

Drownproofing techniques are not hard to learn if you are comfortable in the water. Get to a pool and find someone with Senior Lifesaving or has been a Boy Scout.

60flyer

Now a C-12 pilot
pilot
Contributor

haha....I bet if someone threw you in the deep end of the pool you'd be able to stay afloat for 5 minutes. And if not....problem solved ;)

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot

Read the question like this...

If I threw you in the ocean and said I'll be back in five minutes...will you be alive when I get back?

The answer is yes. If it really isn't then you should join the Air Force.

Serious side question: Are you an only child? Are you from a city i.e. New York? My siblings tried to drown me so often the swim part of being a pilot was easy. Puke up water a few times swimming across Canyon Lake after jumping off (70 feet) the pump housing on the dam, getting caught under a waterfall while drunk floating the Guadalupe River, etc.. It makes the swim requirements way easy:)

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If it really isn't then you should join the Air Force.

Oh they go to pool, but....

synchronized.jpg

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was wondering....either a quick search or he already has them on his computer just waiting to be used...... :icon_tong

I do have quite a collection of my own images, but in this case, Google is always my friend for that perfect image!

60flyer

Now a C-12 pilot
pilot
Contributor
Not trying to be hard on him or anything. Just reminding him it's not all about flying.

haha...so what's he supposed to say.... "I want to be a Naval Officer first, but there is this question on the application I don't know how to answer". Come on....

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
By the way I'm a Her not a Him.......lmao
I can float, just not for 5 min.

So is 60Flyer. :)

Yes, you can....even if you have zero to no body fat. It's all technique and being comfortable with your head under water.

60flyer

Now a C-12 pilot
pilot
Contributor
So is 60Flyer. :)

:D I should be ashamed of myself....I should be the last one assuming gender..... :(

But in all reality...you can do it. It's no big deal. Mark "yes" and then go get some swimming lessons. If you get in there is going to be a ton of water stuff you have to do (swimming, floating, survival stuff, the f'ing helo dunker, etc).