• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question About GPA Calculation with P/NP Courses for OCS Application

FreddiePham

Hello everyone,

I'm currently preparing my application for Navy OCS, and I have a question regarding how the Navy calculates GPA when considering P/NP (Pass/No Pass) courses.

At my institution, P/NP grades are not included in GPA calculations—only courses with letter grades contribute to the overall GPA. Some of the courses at my school only offer the P/NP option. My concern is whether the Navy uses the GPA directly from my transcript or if they recalculate it based on all attempted credits, including P/NP courses.

Can anyone clarify how the Navy handles P/NP grades in GPA calculations for OCS applicants?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Anthony2000

PRO-REC Y SNA
Hello everyone,

I'm currently preparing my application for Navy OCS, and I have a question regarding how the Navy calculates GPA when considering P/NP (Pass/No Pass) courses.

At my institution, P/NP grades are not included in GPA calculations—only courses with letter grades contribute to the overall GPA. Some of the courses at my school only offer the P/NP option. My concern is whether the Navy uses the GPA directly from my transcript or if they recalculate it based on all attempted credits, including P/NP courses.

Can anyone clarify how the Navy handles P/NP grades in GPA calculations for OCS applicants?

If you’re referring to the COVID year where you could Pass/Fail classes instead of taking the letter grade, then I had the same thing and got picked up. P/F classes were not factored into my GPA ( didn’t fail any classes but passed the ones I didn’t get an A in to help my GPA since a B would bring it down since I was over a 3.5)

On the actual application you submit to the board there is a spot for your GPA and you list what is stated on your transcript, they don’t calculate it for you. This was for SNA/SNFO board I got picked up for SNA. Not sure how other communities apps look but I imagine it’s the same. So whatever is stated on your transcript is what is listed on your app.
* I’m not a recruiter, would verify with your recruiter just telling you my experience with that*

FreddiePham

If you’re referring to the COVID year where you could Pass/Fail classes instead of taking the letter grade, then I had the same thing and got picked up. P/F classes were not factored into my GPA ( didn’t fail any classes but passed the ones I didn’t get an A in to help my GPA since a B would bring it down since I was over a 3.5)

On the actual application you submit to the board there is a spot for your GPA and you list what is stated on your transcript, they don’t calculate it for you. This was for SNA/SNFO board I got picked up for SNA. Not sure how other communities apps look but I imagine it’s the same. So whatever is stated on your transcript is what is listed on your app.
* I’m not a recruiter, would verify with your recruiter just telling you my experience with that*
Thank you for your answer.

My official transcript says that my cumulative GPA is 3.337. All those P/NP I got were after COVID years.

I'm just curious. How would the board verify that the GPA I list on the actual application is correct if they don't calculate it for me? Do they even look at the transcripts at all?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Hello everyone,

Have your recruiter show you the calculated GPA sheet.

Also, why are you worried about GPA for an NFO application?

Lastly, the new guy posts are discouraged, since these questions have been answered so many times. Kindly suggest you check out the various Pilot/NFO board threads to see where you stack. Good luck.

Last edited:

Anthony2000

PRO-REC Y SNA
Thank you for your answer.

My official transcript says that my cumulative GPA is 3.337. All those P/NP I got were after COVID years.

I'm just curious. How would the board verify that the GPA I list on the actual application is correct if they don't calculate it for me? Do they even look at the transcripts at all?
So you will attach an official transcript in your kit. It’ll all make sense when you submit! Don’t stress it too much. I had the same on my transcript, put the GPA on my transcript, submitted my kit with my transcript and had no issues. Don’t stress about it should be the least of your worries if your GPA is above a 3.0

qjproudler

I was told by my recruiter that they didn’t even factor in the P/NP into my calculations. I had a 2.5 gpa and got picked up for NFO so I wouldn’t stress about it too much.