• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question - E-2C Hawkeye Lost 8th July 1991

mike bennett

Dear Forum Members

Does anyone have reference to the E-2C Hawkeye lost 8th July 1991 when it was ordered to be destroyed.
Can anyone provide
1. The BuNo.
2. The names / photos of the 5 crew who bailed-out
3. A photo of the aircraft that was lost

Regards

Mike Bennett
Project Get Out and Walk
http://www.ejection-history.org.uk

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
My old detailer a few years back was an NFO on that aircraft but for the life of me, I can't remember his name. I think he screened for command and might be an XO or CO of a squadron right now. Another NFO on that flight was killed in an E-2C that crashed a year later when a fire burned out its hydraulics. Tough one to listen to.

mike bennett

My old detailer a few years back was an NFO on that aircraft but for the life of me, I can't remember his name. I think he screened for command and might be an XO or CO of a squadron right now. Another NFO on that flight was killed in an E-2C that crashed a year later when a fire burned out its hydraulics. Tough one to listen to.

Thanks for the reply. It is very much appreciated.
If I get any responses via other sources I'll post them here to ensure everyone can share the information.
Sad to hear that having escaped once the NFO was lost.

Regards

Mike Bennett

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Post a link to either story? I've never heard of either.

Not much out there. FID relieved us on station and this happened not long after. VAW-122 with an uncontrolled nacelle fire and the crew bailed out. The plane continued on heading towards Syria and an F/A-18 from VFA-132 flown by a Lt Reilly bagged it with 20mm. E-2 crew was picked up by helo's and the Yorktown and spent little time in the water IIRC. There was a history of the SteelJaws article in Hook in 96. I suspect the author of that might be the best source of info.

Road Program

Hangin' on by the static wicks
None
From what I what I understand, as told by some salty CSIs at the RAG here, the junior hornet dude was the only one with the right load-out to bag the Hawkeye, but was unable to get a missile to leave the rail to some buttonology issues (scary to think of, huh?). Furthere, and this is all sea stories mind you, the flight pepperred the Hawkeye with 20mm, but the damn thing stayed airborne until it ran out of gas and crashed into the sea of its own accord.

Again, all that being said, that's just the sea story from the crusty systems guys at the RAG.

edit: Oh yeah, one of those guys knew the crew that went down behind the boat.