• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

question for those who had PRK

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickPollock19

Prospective Candidate for OCS
hey, do any of you know what i can tell to my parents as to why i need PRK before OCS other than, oh it's required? my parents are having a real tough time accepting the facts, that yes, i want to take my commission after OCS, and go to flight school. also, my OSO tells me my air contract, if i am seeing 20/20 will "guarantee" me a flight position, i don't know the truth to this, is he telling me how it is? or what.
-thanks

doubledown

I got PRK several months ago. They have a rule that you must get it 6 months before any training. This is for good reason. My eyes were messed up for about 3 of the 6 and I didn't get 20/20 for about 4 1/2 months after the surgery. Now it's been about 7 months and I have 20/15. I do know that you need a waiver to be accepted into flight school. My OSO told me it was no problem but did say there was a slight chance they wouldn't give it to me just because. I would not suggest getting the surgery right away if you are busy with school or something that requires a lot of reading because it sucks trying to read through foggy eyeballs. But definately get it before OCS.

Whalebite

It's 3 mos not 6 (the min to have your flight phys) other than that, I don't speak Colorado and can't understand your speak

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
USMC_Candidate said:
also, my OSO tells me my air contract, if i am seeing 20/20 will "guarantee" me a flight position, i don't know the truth to this, is he telling me how it is? or what.
-thanks

sorry bro, there are no guarantees in life... especially in the Corps. All it "guarantees" is that, IF you pass OCS, college, get a commission, pass TBS, and don't attrite from IFS (it's happened), that you'll have a seat in API to try and prove that you belong in the flight syllabus. If that's what you mean by a "flight position" then yes, it does promise that. It is far from a guarantee of wings.

NickPollock19

Prospective Candidate for OCS
what is API? also, so what happens if i go through flight school and everything, and dont get on the flight syllabus, what do they do with me?

Status
Not open for further replies.