• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question from NC

The_Commodore

Pavement sucks
OK, I am a senior in high school who is going to NC State college of engineering next year and will be in Navy ROTC. I spoke with one of the officers in charge there, he took all of my contact info and said I would be contacted this summer for "orientation" in Norfolk VA over the summer. So first of all, does anyone know what this orientation is? Also, I want to be a naval aviator and want to know what I should do next, or if there even is anything I can do in the meantime. All I am doing now is working on my running, swimming, etc. Please, just give me any advice. I'm all pumped up about this and want to know what I can to.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
Work hard in school. Don't give up. Keep your nose clean.

I want to be a naval aviator and want to know what I should do next, or if there even is anything I can do in the meantime. All I am doing now is working on my running, swimming, etc. Please, just give me any advice. I'm all pumped up about this and want to know what I can to.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
As a former NROTC mid, I would say work hard in school. Hopefully, when your time comes, the timing is right, your grades are good and it will all fall into place.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Read Air Warriors, but check out this thread FIRST. There is a gold mine of info here. Wish I had something like this when I was your age. Go for it!

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Read Air Warriors, but check out this thread FIRST. There is a gold mine of info here. Wish I had something like this when I was your age. Go for it!

I know you're older than me heyjoe :eek: but I agree. I was in this kids place back in '88 and I tell ya, if this site was around....I would have been one of those who gets smashed on a regular basis on this site :D

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know you're older than me heyjoe :eek: but I agree. I was in this kids place back in '88 and I tell ya, if this site was around....I would have been one of those who gets smashed on a regular basis on this site :D
Agreed, though I would be '99 or so. Ah, to be teenaged and stupid(er) . . . :icon_wink

In all seriousness though, stick it out through NROTC and keep your GPA up; it's your best bet for an aviation slot. NROTC and the Academy get a fixed number per year; OCS and its various sources pick up the slack. If you have a scholarship, get one. Be the guy that's locked on and participates in the unit. Not necessarily a brown-nose, but don't think busting butt won't be noticed by your staff.

And most importantly enjoy the hell out of college. When you hit flight school, you'll wonder where all the smart, good looking and available chicks went . . .

MasterBates

And most importantly enjoy the hell out of college. When you hit flight school, you'll wonder where all the smart, good looking and available chicks went . . .

Yeah, they get replaced by SNAGs who think they are hotter than they are, and are looking for an all expense paid trip out of town....

wiseguy04

The Dude abides....
pilot
Keep your nose clean.

Don't get a DUI or be involved in anything police-related. All these things can make getting a security clearance painful, which is something you'll need if you want to be a naval officer. Obviously enjoy college, but be careful at the same time.