• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question on API admissions

gtg234u

when you complete ocs and ocs/tbs(for marines), how do you get into api. what is the process from going to ocs to api like? does anyone know how many pilots the navy/marine corp get a year?

Carno

Insane
Yeah in order to be selected for an air contract you have to have a flight physical, and that includes getting your vision checked out. Well yes, it is a guarantee.... that is why they call it a contract. As long as you hold up your end of the bargain, the Marine Corps will hold up theirs and send you to flight school. Unless of course you get hurt or fail OCS/TBS or some other extenuating circumstance happens.

EDIT: Since you seem to know pretty much nothing about this, you should contact an OSO. At the very least just do a search for your questions.

mts4602

Yes an air contact is a guarantee that you will attend flight training provided you complete OCS. Yes people fail API.

I have not been to API but from what I hear it is A LOT of information that is not very hard but you have to remember soo much in soo little time. That is what makes it hard. You can do it. Anyone selected for flight training has the ability to make it through if you put in the effort.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Alright, since the OP (as Carno points out) knows very little about the process, I'd advise you to read up on and search through some of the applicable threads, then come back with some original questions.

Brett

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
Well, not everyone. Some people just aren't cut out for flying.

Very true. You could be the smartest guy in API, yet get in the air in Primary and their bodies just cant handle it. So even physiology-wise, some ppl arent cut out for it. But at least they tried.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
when you complete ocs and ocs/tbs(for marines), how do you get into api. what is the process from going to ocs to api like? does anyone know how many pilots the navy/marine corp get a year?

Flight school stuff should be the last thing on your mind. There is a lot to get through before you ever get a chance to get into the flying stuff.

Talk to an OSO, continue looking into the Marine Corps and aviation. If being a Marine and aviator sounds good to you, begin the process. You better be sure that your want to be a Marine first, cause I have had more buddies than you think get rolled from the flight program BEFORE primary and are now doing something else besides flying in the Corps. There are a lot of great ways to be on the air side in the Corps without flying. If you are one of those where you just want to fly, the Marine Corps is not for you.

You will spend 10-12 weeks at OCS, then 6 months at The Basic School (TBS) learning the basics of being a Platoon Commander. Then, if you make it through all that and are physcially qualified, you will get your shot at flight school. Hope this helps with your decision. Good luck.

gtg234u

hahaahha mr.brett, doesnt matter i'm still going to ask unoriginal questions. you'll just have to deal with it. thanks for your input though.

Penguin

Respect the WEZ
pilot
hahaahha mr.brett, doesnt matter i'm still going to ask unoriginal questions. you'll just have to deal with it. thanks for your input though.

Just a friendly piece of information, since you are new to the forum. When you see wings beside someone's name on this forum, that means they have AT LEAST two more years military aviation experience than you, and their advice is probably worth listening to. In "mr.brett"'s case, alot more than two years of experience are behind those wings. This forum has a plethora of useful information, if you take the time to look for it. You may not find exactly what you need in a search, but if you can reference a previous thread, at least people will know you made an effort. As some of the earlier posts alluded to, making it into military aviation requires a little talent and a bunch of effort. For most people, it's a whole new level of committment.

Just remember: search before you start typing, proofread before you post, and you'll go far.

P.S Also remember sarcasm does not translate well into a web post.:)

Penguin

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
is this really a forum?
Yes this is a forum. However this is a forum that is about Naval Aviation and how to become a part of Naval Aviation. To be a Naval Aviator or a Naval Flight Officer, one must first become a commissioned officer. Being a commissioned officer requires initiative as well as common sense and tact.

You asked some questions. As part of your answers, it was suggested that you use the search function to try and find some of the answers on your own. Instead of showing the initiative to do so, you gave a smart ass answer.

So my question to you is why should we help you if you don't want to help yourself? If you feel it is beneath you to show a little initiative and instead feel you are entitled to having the answers spoon fed to you, why should we help? Common sense says you should be grateful for the answers and guidance you received. Common sense also says that if you want more answers, you are courteous and follow the advise of those that have achieved what you desire.

I for one don't want a lazy person as an officer. It would be a disservice to the Sailors and Marines who depend on him and look to him for leadership.

So deal with this. Get a change of attitude, do a little research using the search function on this web site and using google, and then come back here using a little tact to ask specific questions.

Or just go away.

Your choice.

If you choose to stay, start over with a new thread after you have done a little research on your own.