• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question regarding flight physical/past medical condition

irishmc

I've decided to ask this question here since my last OSO could not give me a definitive answer.

In 2001 I collapsed both my lungs, and obviously required surgery. This was a big pain in the ass to get past medical, but I did it, and recieved a medical waiver allowing me to go to OCS. When I asked my OSO to elaborate on my waiver (i.e. will this waiver also get me through a flight physical), he seemed to have no idea what NAMI would think of my past condition, or more to the point if it would disqualify me from aviation. I asked him if there's anyone he could inquire about this, but I didn't get an answer before moving to another OSO after changing campuses. I'm going to ask my new OSO about this, but in the meantime, does anyone have any experience with this/advice?

robav8r

None
Contributor
I was a rescue swimmer in the 80's and early 90's - I herniated two discs in my lower back from running and flying which eventually required me to have surgery. After surgery, I was commissioned and even received a waiver to fly in ejection seats. You have to show NAMI that you are asymptimatic after the surgery or medical procedure and that it has absolutely no bearing on your ability to perform your military duties. I would think that as long as you are in good shape and that your collapsed lungs have recovered/healed completely - you should be fine. Just be sure and have lots of documentation to prove your point.

Ciao,

samadma

OCC-169 Grad
You have to submit the medical documents to NOMI in order to find out. The OSO didn't answer the question because he does not make the call on medical. The only thing you can do is apply and submit your medical documentation. If you're applying for PLC then you'll find out from NOMI once you've completed the PLC training package. If you're an OCC'er then, you'll find out once you're selected then sent to Pensacola for a flight physical. Another route is getting a flight physical done at a Naval Base, and submitting those documents. However, you will need someone in the military estabilishment in order to get an appointment and the appropriate documentation in order to get that done. It's not a hard thing if you know who to ask, and if they are willing to work with you. I hope this helps.

flyerstud4

show them your fine

I went thru my P'cola physical last year after Sr's. I had a childhood asthma issue that i had to demostrate to the docs down there that i was fine. Probably the same for you. good luck