• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question

kissarmy5689

Last night i was at a football game with my 1/2 brother who's about 25 years older than me (has been in the army for 20 years and went through ROTC). I told him i was probably going to go through NROTC for college then go into the Navy. He said the Navy would probably not take me though. I have about 3 diseases with my back, BUT they dont prevent me from doing anything that someone else with a healthy back could do. The bone doctor even told me that if i just do my physical therapy stuff WHEN i need it, that i could even play football with no problem. Yet, he said they'd still probably not take me.

My question to you guys is, would the navy allow someone like me in, if it didnt affect me from doing anything and i could prove it somehow?

thanks
-joe

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
kissarmy,

Keep in mind there's waivers for different stuff. As eddie said, it would depend on what your case is.. i.e what's wrong, what can be done about it etc. Best bet is to apply for the scholarship and get the applicable medical exams/paperwork done as you need to.

If you're qualified academically and otherwise, they'll let you know what can be done about your back.

G'luck and let us know what happens when you put your app in.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Or he could just go for the new lat transfer program from the Kiss Army to the Navy. :D Also keep in mind that the NOMI waiver guide is aviation oriented, so its requirements may not be applicable to other designators.

Brett

kissarmy5689

kissarmy,

Keep in mind there's waivers for different stuff. As eddie said, it would depend on what your case is.. i.e what's wrong, what can be done about it etc. Best bet is to apply for the scholarship and get the applicable medical exams/paperwork done as you need to.

If you're qualified academically and otherwise, they'll let you know what can be done about your back.

G'luck and let us know what happens when you put your app in.

thanks, i'll probably be sending in my application in about a year or so. I've got a 3.61 GPA right now, but this year i'll bring it up to about a 3.8-ish because this year is a lot easier than last year for some reason. I work out about 3 times a week + in PE class, and I'll probably go out for baseball in the summertime- so i'd think i'm pretty qualified for a scholarship, not to mention i'm well rounded and follow instructions closely.
If i dont get this scholarship i'm kind of screwed college wise (no money saved as of right now) and will probably look to go to a flight school or else go to a college and get a finance degree and see where that takes me. overall i'm just hoping that this works out for me.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Or he could just go for the new lat transfer program from the Kiss Army to the Navy. :D Also keep in mind that the NOMI waiver guide is aviation oriented, so its requirements may not be applicable to other designators.

Brett

It is? Dammit! I thought that the NOMI site held waiver sets for all designators (under NAMI, NUMI, etc.).

kissarmy5689

Brett
verry funny.:icon_tong . honestly i didnt get that website much at all. i was hoping it would just have a list of things that would disqualify someone. and yes i'm looking into going into aviation (flying or NFO) in some capacity.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It is? Dammit! I thought that the NOMI site held waiver sets for all designators (under NAMI, NUMI, etc.).

I haven't looked at the other areas of their site, but the oft referred and linked to waiver guide pertains only to aeromedical concerns.

Brett

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
verry funny.:icon_tong . honestly i didnt get that website much at all. i was hoping it would just have a list of things that would disqualify someone. and yes i'm looking into going into aviation (flying or NFO) in some capacity.

Try this link, but remember that it's for aviation, not the Navy in general. Try the orthopedics section.

Brett

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
anyone know about say a herniated disc?

Look at the link under orthopedics/intravertebral disk disease to get a basic idea of where you stand. Bottom line: It's a complicated matter and nobody on here is going to be able to give you a definitive answer. You'll have to be examined by the Navy's docs to see if you qualify for a waiver or not.

Brett

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Look at the link under orthopedics/intravertebral disk disease to get a basic idea of where you stand. Bottom line: It's a complicated matter and nobody on here is going to be able to give you a definitive answer. You'll have to be examined by the Navy's docs to see if you qualify for a waiver or not.

Brett
Here, let me repeat so everyone is on the same page. You'll have to be examined by the Navy's docs to see if you qualify for a waiver or not.

kissarmy5689

ugh after reading all of that it looks like there's no way i could become a navy pilot. the herniated disc and spinal stenosis looks like it wouldnt be a problem but the degenerative disc disease looks like it disqualifies anyone who has it. pretty bummed now.

thanks for the links though- it was helpful

mike172

GO NAVY
On the NOMI site is there a way to look up all medically disqualifying things?

EDIT: Found it, however what I am looking for is not there, what does that mean? is it not DQing or so rare that they dont even bother putting it up.