• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Questions about applying SWO

cottrouble

Thanks in advance to readers and replies here. Air Warriors has already been a valuable resource.

SWO is my first choice and here's a really brief stats overview.

25/M, 3.1 GPA, BS Political Science, lots of leadership (TEDx speaker, military-related charity founder and CEO, VP of college club), multiple promotions ahead of schedule at the office, non-prior from Arizona.

A few questions about the process...
  • How much time should I expect from being picked up to going to OCS?
  • How much does the source of a LOR matter? (i.e. My current boss vs. a US Senator?)
  • What's a competitive OAR score? It seems about 53 from what my recruiter said. Is that about right?
  • Do your physical test scores play a role in being selected?
  • Have you seen anything in an application that was really impressive?
Any general advice is also welcome.

Thanks again

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
SWO is my first choice and here's a really brief stats overview.

25/M, 3.1 GPA, BS Political Science, lots of leadership (TEDx speaker, military-related charity founder and CEO, VP of college club), multiple promotions ahead of schedule at the office, non-prior from Arizona.

How much time should I expect from being picked up to going to OCS?
Varies depending on needs of the Navy, can vary from 3-4 mos. to upwards of 6-8mos. Average somewhere in between. If/when ProRec Y, patience will be your friend. Very hard to predict accurately.
How much does the source of a LOR matter? (i.e. My current boss vs. a US Senator?)
The source does matter, even more when the LOR writer indicates that s/he really does KNOW you, and comments favorably regarding your character, work ethic, and leadership potential. It's more about what is written and how familiar they are with you. Supervisors, Managers, College Professors, your Volunteer Supervisors, Boy/GS Leaders, etc. are excellent LORs. Unless you are well known by, or work for the U.S. Senator, I'd recommend your boss. Boards are not overly impressed with the usual "fill in the blanks" LOR from high ranking Military or Politicians. It really depends on what they write. With their present national approval rating around 9%, I'm not sure I'd be comfortable a Pol LOR... unless they really knew me.
What's a competitive OAR score? It seems about 53 from what my recruiter said. Is that about right?
That's another score that's hard to predict. It all depends on the ratio of available slots v Applicant packages accepted for each board, and that varies from board to board. The 53 OAR sounds competitive, but much lower OAR scores have occasionally been selected in the past. Frankly, you will need a 'healthy' OAR to help offset a low average GPA.
Do your physical test scores play a role in being selected?
Sorry, I am not knowledgeable in this area.
Have you seen anything in an application that was really impressive?
Eye-openers include any notable accomplishments that may stand out/impress, or indicate leadership, i.e. Eagle Scout, Varsity Sports (HS & Coll.), School Newspaoer Staff, Musician/Instrument(s), Foreign Language fluency, etc.... be creative!;)

Good luck!:)
BzB