• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Questions about community transfer

FSF11

I searched through the boards and came across a couple threads on this subject, but one quickly devolved into flaming, and the other was very old. From what I have gathered so far, a community transfer (aviator switching from one aircraft to another later in his/her career, after "primary selection"): 1) is sometimes possible and 2) is often risky.

My questions are slightly more specific, though, and I thought this might be a "safe" place to try to have them answered.
  1. Considering the fact that the military is actively in a process of "reduction of forces" are community transfers still possible? Less common?
  2. Is putting in a request for a community transfer a career killer? (IE: If successful in switching over, will you never again be competitive with your "new peers" in quals, etc. in order to continue to advance?) What is a "typical" career path after a transfer?
  3. Is requesting a transfer seen as an act of betrayal toward your old community? What about the new community, are transfers typically welcomed or shunned? What if you request a transfer and aren't approved? Does this make you a black sheep in your old community, even if no malice was intended?
  4. Supposing they are still possible, when is typically a "good" or "the best" time to submit the request? Is there a specific point in one's career that offers the greatest odds of a successful transfer, or minimizes the negative aspects of transferring?
  5. Does anyone have any "success" or "horror" stories on this topic? First hand experience with the process, or have a friend who has gone through it and would care to shed some light on the subject?
  6. Are there any restrictions on which communities are eligible to transfer to one another? I've heard a story of a guy going helos to E-2, but what about P-3 to helos? Is this "just another selection process"
  7. Is there any "official" documentation or literature on this topic? How do you go about starting the process?

I apologize in advance for the lengthy post, and appreciate any feedback you can provide.

Thanks,

FSF11

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
Does anyone have any "success" or "horror" stories on this topic? First hand experience with the process, or have a friend who has gone through it and would care to shed some light on the subject?

As soon as MB washes the grime off from the oil fields and downs a few cold ones, I'm sure he'll give you his opinion.

Standby....

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's been done, and will continue to be done. I know 4-5 guys who've gone from E-2s to some flavor of Hornet. Usually you put in a package during your first shore tour, do the new FRS in lieu of a disassoc, then off to your new community.

Ultimately, you're just a body/designator unit to BuPers, so if your current community is overmanned and you want to go to one that's undermanned, and you haven't been caught shitting on anyone's lawn lately, you'd probably get it. If they aren't, you won't.

Opinions vary on whether you're taking yourself off the career track by doing so. I would say most people probably are, since you're most likely going up for your DH board while still brand-new to your new community. But no, it doesn't ipso facto knock you out of the running.

If you put in to transfer and don't get it, however...you're pretty much dead to your community. Naval Aviation is not unlike the Mafia in some respects, and disloyalty once you've been "made" is not rewarded. Our bullets in the back of the head are usually metaphorical.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
I know a guy who started helos but then switched to Hornets and still got command, but he is the exception.

A few of my thoughts are:
Switching can be viewed as deserting your present community by some CO's. These are the same CO's who view dropping a FTS package in the same light. Each situation is different because it's a personality thing with the front office.

It boils down to this. While you are back in flight school getting qual'd in the new aircraft (with NOB fitreps), the guys who you will soon be competing against for DH and command are getting FitReps and more quals in the community.
Then when you get back to the fleet, you have the same quals as some LTjg fresh out of the RAG. You are now competing against guys who have a 3-5 year headstart in quals and building their reputation in the community. You may be able to compete with them on the ground, but in the aircaft, it's an uphill battle.

It CAN be done, but it is more the exception than the rule that if you transition you will get command. I haven't heard enough stories to give annecdotal evidence about making DH.

As long as you realize that there may be negative reprecussions in switching communities, it's your career. You get out of it what you put into it. If you really want to fly something else, then go for it, but do so realizing that you may make a successful career in the Navy much more difficult.

IRfly

None
You use too many "quotation marks." I'm not sure if anything is "real" anymore.