• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Questions about Enlistment bonus, College loan repayment program and GI Bill

skittle986

Ensign, Civil engineer corps, U.S Navy.
Can anyone explain in detail? If you are accepted into the OCS program are you not eligible for an enlistment bonus? Will the Navy still help pay back college loans even though you opted for OCS and not enlistment, and if so, do you apply for the CLRP or is the GI Bill used instead? I am so confused. I researched on my own, and am still confused. My recruiter never mentioned anything about this and when I asked my recruiter barely had any info besides the "you don't need to do that" Thank you so much in advance.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Short answer is no. Officers aren't eligible for CLRP and you can not use your GI bill retroactively to pay off loans. There are only a couple designators that offer a sign on bonus. Enlistment is not just a different means of entering the Navy. There is a major distinction between Officer and Enlisted. If you choose to enlist you will be eligible for CLRP and possibly an enlistment bonus, but will be paid a much lower salary.

nuls2835

Xmid is correct, at least from what I have been told. When I asked my OR about this he indicated that this may have been a perk a while back but because the economy crashed, the job market went with it and essentially the Navy did not have a reason to continue the program since they have had a significant increase in officer applicants. I would love to get the remaining $15K of my original $90K in student loans paid off, but in all reality it would benefit me more to pay it off myself.

skittle986

Xmid is correct, at least from what I have been told. When I asked my OR about this he indicated that this may have been a perk a while back but because the economy crashed, the job market went with it and essentially the Navy did not have a reason to continue the program since they have had a significant increase in officer applicants. I would love to get the remaining $15K of my original $90K in student loans paid off, but in all reality it would benefit me more to pay it off myself.

Thank you. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on anything

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
But since you're going to be a CEC, I believe you'll get either E3-E5 pay plus BAH until you ship out to OCS. I know that's what CNRC is doing to entice CEC selectees to stick around, especially if it's going to be a while until they leave for OCS...

Since you're a graduate with a Master's it'll be E5 pay + BAH.

skittle986

But since you're going to be a CEC, I believe you'll get either E3-E5 pay plus BAH until you ship out to OCS. I know that's what CNRC is doing to entice CEC selectees to stick around, especially if it's going to be a while until they leave for OCS...

My contract says E-5 pay but I don't believe I saw anything about BAH. Isn't that for spousal support or something along that nature? If so I wouldn't get that being that I am single, not married or with any kids. I could be wrong. I will research about the BAH. Also, I leave within a short time ( 2 months)

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
My contract says E-5 pay but I don't believe I saw anything about BAH. Isn't that for spousal support or something along that nature? If so I wouldn't get that being that I am single, not married or with any kids. I could be wrong. I will research about the BAH. Also, I leave within a short time ( 2 months)

You're getting confused with OCS pay. If you're single with no dependents you'll get E-5 pay and that's it. For the CEC collegiate program, you'll get E-5 pay and BAH + Tricare. Here's more information here:

http://www.futureofficer.com/downloads/CEC.pdf

skittle986

You're getting confused with OCS pay. If you're single with no dependents you'll get E-5 pay and that's it. For the CEC collegiate program, you'll get E-5 pay and BAH + Tricare. Here's more information here:

http://www.futureofficer.com/downloads/CEC.pdf

Thank you. I was referring to OCS and yes I am single with no dependents so the E-5 pay is the only thing. So not missing anything. Thank you!

Sache

Since you're a graduate with a Master's it'll be E5 pay + BAH.

So a person gets put on payroll immediately after getting accepted in and getting a select letter?:confused: