• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Questions about Navy Reserves Commissioning

SavvyPR

LCDR, Navy Reserve PAO
I'm a 26-year-old female who has been in the public relations field for nearly 5 years (in addition, I had two fantastic internships). I am in the process of applying for a Navy Reserve commission as a PAO. I understand from my recruiter that usually there are only 1-2 PAO openings a year but this year they have 19-24 positions open. I was wondering what you think my chances are (I'm applying anyway, of course... just wondering).

- I do not have a Master's Degree, but was planning to start it this January until my recruiter told me to wait until after the boards (Feb 1) because they might be worried that I couldn't handle a full-time job, getting my Master's AND the Reserves.
- I graduated with a 3.7 with a degree in public relations... I also graduated from the Honors College from my university (had a 3.8 in high school, Nat'l Honors Society, Spanish Nat'l Honors Society).
- I am currently a Public Relations and Communications Manager at an aviation history museum. I handle all the public relations for this large, well-known musuem.
- I have LOR's from a retired Colonel in the USAF as well as two co-workers (one former supervisor) and the CO for NRD Michigan has offered to send in a letter as well because of my help in a few Navy events that happened at our museum.
- I am working on my personal statement, but I'm confident that it will be solid and heartfelt.
- My recruiter is still working on getting Officer interviews for me.

Any insight into what you think my chances are? Any recommendations/suggestions?

ETA: I am currently on the local Big Brothers/Big Sisters Marketing Committee as a volunteer (I was asked to join), I am a Big Sister to a 12-year-old, I am a Pet Therapy Volunteer at our local hospital's general medical/oncology unit, I have been a past board member for a local Greyhound adoption group, was an RA in college, was a board member (Public Relations Director) for our college's Public Relations Student Society and some other leadership opportunities in high school.

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
I'm a 26-year-old female who has been in the public relations field for nearly 5 years (in addition, I had two fantastic internships). I am in the process of applying for a Navy Reserve commission as a PAO. I understand from my recruiter that usually there are only 1-2 PAO openings a year but this year they have 19-24 positions open. I was wondering what you think my chances are (I'm applying anyway, of course... just wondering).

In general, regardless of the designator, the Direct Commission programs are all extremely competitive. Based on the description you gave, you sound very qualified; the only detractor might be that there may be others who are older and have more experience; all else equal and up to a point, they would tend to give the nod to the person with a larger experiential base. But like you noted, it all depends on how many vacancies there are and how many applicants have thrown their hats in the ring.

What I will say is that I personally believe the interviews count for a lot. Given that everyone in the DCO bucket tends to look great on paper (GPAs, recommendations, etc.), the only subjective evaluations tend to be the impressions of serving officers in these interviews. So when the time comes, dress professionally, do some due diligence on what you're getting into, and come prepared with a list of your own questions and well-thought out answers to likely questions (#1 being the response to "Why do you want to do this?")

Good luck, and if you don't succeed on the first look, don't give up - persistence is a quality that these boards take note of. Lastly, if there are a bunch more openings this year than last, you have to ask yourself "Why?" Is it because they are expanding the field, or because they are attriting a lot more than expected? If it's the latter, there may be an important backstory - that would be one of my primary questions to your recruiter or anyone you interview with.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Any insight into what you think my chances are? Any recommendations/suggestions?

You've got a great foundation. I would try to get a recommendation from one of the insiders. The Navy Public Affairs Community (1650) is very tight and they all know each other. Michigan is a bit off the beaten track as far as their areas of interest, but it would be worth seeing if you could connect with one of them.

SavvyPR

LCDR, Navy Reserve PAO
Thanks for your comments... it's nice to hear that I'm at least competitive for the program.

You've got a great foundation. I would try to get a recommendation from one of the insiders. The Navy Public Affairs Coummunity (1650) is very tight and they all know each other. Michigan is a bit off the beaten track as far as their areas of interest, but it would be worth seeing if you could connect with one of them.

Any idea on how I might do that? I believe the nearest PAO drilling centers to me are Great Lakes and Millington, TN.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks for your comments... it's nice to hear that I'm at least competitive for the program.

Any idea on how I might do that? I believe the nearest PAO drilling centers to me are Great Lakes and Millington, TN.
If he is worth his salt your recruiter can help you with that. You can find PAOs "cross assigned out" from their parent command at most any Reserve Center. Your recruiter should be able to find a PAO at a Reserve Center (called Operational Support Centers now) not too far away. And what heyjoe said is correct. An interview by a PAO is highly useful. I have seen several guys travel 300 miles for a good DCO interview and one guy even flew back to DC, a 3.5 hour commerical flight for him. It is worth the effort. Well, 300 miles anyway ;).

cv2000

Is the ASTB needed for PAO

Hello, this is all great information but I had another question. My recruiter informed me that you do not need to take the ASTB to go before a PAO board. Is this accurate. I thought anyone trying to obtain a commisssion in the US Navy reserve or active needed to take these tests. Thank you.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hello, this is all great information but I had another question. My recruiter informed me that you do not need to take the ASTB to go before a PAO board. Is this accurate. I thought anyone trying to obtain a commisssion in the US Navy reserve or active needed to take these tests. Thank you.

You didn't say if you were looking at Reserve or active duty. For a Direct Commission into the Reserves, you do not have to take the ASTB for any designator. For active duty PAO, I don't recall. I never sent a guy up for active duty PAO because there were always so few available. My guess would be that active duty PAOs would take the ASTB, but your recruiter should know. In any case, it is a self correcting problem. If you don't take it and it is required, your recruiter will hear about it when your app is QAed.

SavvyPR

LCDR, Navy Reserve PAO

My recruiter said the same thing (for going Reserve).