• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Questions about the process

Status
Not open for further replies.

SJHipple

Hey everyone,

I just passed my physical to join the USMC...however, I have a couple of questions about getting into flight school and how the whole process works. Please keep in mind that I'm not totally familiar with all the jargon yet.

The way I understand it, after you take the ASTB and PT test, you can apply to OCS...from there, if you get accepted, you go to OCS (I would go this summer since I'm a student). After that, you take the flight physical and after that, apply to flight school. Is that about right?

The reason I want to know is that I had a medical problem when I was younger...I had seizures up to the age of 8. Because of this, I know that it's not too likely that I'll get a waiver to fly (Taxman...perhaps you could give a little guidance here).

My question is...when do I actually sign on the dotted line and make my enlistment for however long it may be? Will I know whether I've been accepted to flight school before I sign up, or do I sign up for 8 years and then hope for the best? I would probably still go in as an officer even without flight school, but I would really prefer not to start out with an 8 year enlistment...maybe 4 years to start out.

My recruiter told me that since I passed MEPS, I'm good to go, but I've heard that the flight physical is going to be harder to pass (especially with my past condition...any help on if that's waiverable would be greatly appreciated). What I don't want to do is sign up for 8 years, go down all ready for flight school and then be disqualified and told to pick something else to do for the next 8 years.

So basically, how much will I know when I make the commitment? I'm wondering because I know that flying jets is an 8 year commitment, while flying helos in 6...I'm a little confused by that, since I would guess that you would have already signed the papers by the time you know which one you've been selected for.

Sorry for the long message, and thanks for the help. :)

peanut3479

pilot
Definitely do a search for some of those answers - there's a lot of info (and experiences of others) on this website. A couple of quick, simple answers, though:

You'll have a flight physical before you apply, so you'll know whether you're eligible for an air contract or not.

If you get an air contract, it will guarantee you a shot at flight school if you make it through OCS, TBS, and API.

Once you complete flight school your contract is 6 or 8 years. If you attrite/DOR/get NPQd anytime before you get your wings, your contract reverts to 3.5 years or thereabouts (def. between 3 & 4 years).

Taxman2A

War were declared.
Ehh... I'm feeling generous, and you even mentioned me by name, so I tackle it.

SJHipple said:
The way I understand it, after you take the ASTB and PT test, you can apply to OCS...from there, if you get accepted, you go to OCS (I would go this summer since I'm a student). After that, you take the flight physical and after that, apply to flight school. Is that about right?

You will go go to the OSO, take your ASTB, and PFT... From there you will apply directly to through your OSO to the type of program you want. For instance, you will apply for a PLC Air contract. This contract means you will go to OCS, and if you complete OCS successfully and stay out of trouble, you will be commissioned upon college graduation. Now... Before you actually get commissioned, you will most likely take a flight physical. If you are found unfit to fly, you will either be able to take a ground contract, or (at this point) you may still refuse your commission.

SJHipple said:
The reason I want to know is that I had a medical problem when I was younger...I had seizures up to the age of 8. Because of this, I know that it's not too likely that I'll get a waiver to fly (Taxman...perhaps you could give a little guidance here).

Well, that really depends on how they see things. A very large amount of disorders won't hurt you if you haven't had syptoms in 15 years, or before age 12, stuff like that. You may get through just fine, that's for the MEPS and NAMI guys to figure out though.

SJHipple said:
My question is...when do I actually sign on the dotted line and make my enlistment for however long it may be? Will I know whether I've been accepted to flight school before I sign up, or do I sign up for 8 years and then hope for the best? I would probably still go in as an officer even without flight school, but I would really prefer not to start out with an 8 year enlistment...maybe 4 years to start out.

The whole 8 year thing only applies to those who complete flight school. I went to PLC with an air contract, and lost it right before I commissioned. I have a 4 year commitment. I know people who went to flight school and failed out a year into it. They have a 4 year commitment (counting the time they already served). So you can imagine, if you spend a year in flight school, fail out, and then go to a new MOS school you won't have much time left in the Marine Corps (if you don't augment). It happens to a few.

SJHipple said:
My recruiter told me that since I passed MEPS, I'm good to go, but I've heard that the flight physical is going to be harder to pass (especially with my past condition...any help on if that's waiverable would be greatly appreciated). What I don't want to do is sign up for 8 years, go down all ready for flight school and then be disqualified and told to pick something else to do for the next 8 years.

You have heard correctly. MEPS and NAMI are different animals. Just because one approves you doesn't mean the other will. As far as if something is waiverable- generally I would say anything is waiverable, especially childhood things. Whether you get a waiver or not depends greatly on how much you fight for one, and the nature of the illness. Not sure how childhood epilepsy is looked at, but if you made it through MEPS unscathed things look good.

SJHipple said:
So basically, how much will I know when I make the commitment? I'm wondering because I know that flying jets is an 8 year commitment, while flying helos in 6...I'm a little confused by that, since I would guess that you would have already signed the papers by the time you know which one you've been selected for.

Well... you will sign up for multiple commitments. At first you will sign a contract stating you will go to OCS for at least 4 weeks before dropping... Then when you are ready to commission you sign another contract. Your air contract will say that you owe 6 years after winging at a minimum (or something to that effect). If you lose your air contract for any reason you will sign a new ground contract. In other words, you aren't roped into any real commitment until you accept your commission, and you aren't really roped into the longer commitment until you are flying.

SJHipple

Thank you so much!! I really appreciate the answers.

KBayDog...I'm seeking a commission...thanks for pointing out the difference. I said that because my dad is a former marine (enlisted) and that's the term he always used, so I kinda used it without thinking.

I'm hopeful, but not too hopeful. I really want to fly, but I want to be a Marine either way. I looked at the "waiver guide topics" website for the Navy and it didn't look to good for people with a history of seizures.

Taxman, you said it depended on how hard I "fight" for it...I'll definately try. I might be posting more questions later on as to how to do that. I kinda thought I'd submit everything and hope for the best...is there anything else I can do?

Thanks again...this forum has been very helpful. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.