• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Questions about the service.

Vulpes Inculta

Hello, I'm currently a senior in high school and am currently reviewing my options as either a pilot with the USN or as a pilot with the USAF. I was considering going to a state College that includes a AFROTC program in which I could do while getting my degree and enter as an officer, with aa possible chance of getting a pilot slot, I heard mostly AFROTC and AF Academy grads get the pilot spots. On the other hand I was considering the USN as an option, there are currently no colleges in my state the hold an NROTC program so I don't know of many options in the Navy for my area, other than out of state College or the sta-21 program, I was wondering what the chances of getting a pilot slot in the Navy though the sta-21 program would be. And just to clarify I am talking about fixed wing aircraft of which I know the USAF has more of but am very interested in the Navy way of life. Any and all answers are greatly appreciated, and you can be as blunt with me as you want. Thanks in advance.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Bluntly speaking, if you want guaranteed fixed wing, go Air Force. Over 50% of naval aviators are rotary wing. This selection is based upon 1) needs of the service, 2) your grades 3) your preference - and the guys and gals here will tell you the percentages varies from week to week with no way to game the system.

If you get selected for rotary wing, but still want fixed wing later you can always come back to Whiting and be a fixed wing instructor in the T-6 or transition to the reserves and go fixed wing in the reserves. But again, bluntly speaking, the Navy does not guarantee you will get fixed wing.

Vulpes Inculta

Thank you for your reply Randy, it would not be the end of the world to get a rotary pilot position, but I strongly prefer fixed wing. What is your opinion on the sta-21 program the USN offers?

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Welcome to the site! Start off by searching the forums for answers to your questions. They've been asked and answered before, especially the AF vs. Navy piece.

Also, unless there's a specific reason why you would want to stay in state for college, I would broaden your search out of state so you're not limiting yourself to just AFROTC. I don't know the specific statistics, but I would be leery of just assuming that you won't be competitive for a pilot slot if you decided to pursue Air Force OTS instead of AFROTC or the Air Force Academy. Keep in mind that Navy OCS would also be an option for you, provided you complete your degree.

Hope that helps!

Vulpes Inculta

Thanks for your reply! I have been on the site many times before but have never got around to making an account. I have considered expanding to out of state Colleges but was still wondering if anyone has any experience with the sta-21 program before doing so.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks for your reply! I have been on the site many times before but have never got around to making an account. I have considered expanding to out of state Colleges but was still wondering if anyone has any experience with the sta-21 program before doing so.

Gotcha. For STA-21, were you considering enlisting first? If your ultimate goal is to get a commission, I would not recommend STA-21 as an option, because there are no guarantees. You would have to enlist, and then be selected for STA-21. If you have the grades to get into another commissioning program, then STA-21 should be your last option.

A better option, if it is still available, would be to pursue BDCP if ROTC or OCS doesn't work out for you. You can search the site for more details about it if you haven't already.

Also, I wouldn't forget about USNA if you qualify. It's still not too late to start the service academy process as a senior, although you'll have to move fast.

Vulpes Inculta

Also, is there a possibility that, depending on the needs of both, that I could swap branches? Such as I go into AFROTC and after my contract is up I could get a pilot slot in the Navy, or that even they switch me without me having to ask?

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I went to USNA, so I'm happy to answer questions about the specifics of that process.

By accepting a AFROTC scholarship and graduating, you commit to commission in the Air Force. The same is true for NROTC. While there are cases where AFA or USNA graduates are cross-commissioned, it is extremely rare, and I'm fairly certain it doesn't happen on the ROTC side of the house.

Pursue the branch that offers you the most jobs that interest you, in the off chance that you don't get a pilot slot.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
I would highly recommend to you to do AFROTC or NROTC or one of the service Academies to get a commission to go flying. Ultimately, do you want a better chance at a fixed wing gig in the middle of the country or do you want to have a chance at any given platform and serve in (mostly) beach towns and land on boats (P-3/P-8s excluded)? There's also the traditions and cultures of each service to consider as well and I think no matter what, you'll always see some things as the grass is greener and other things like "I'm so glad I joined service 'x' instead of 'y.'" I would not recommend doing STA-21 if you want to be a pilot unless you really want to be an enlisted sailor first; that path is much tougher and less likely to lead you to flying as a pilot.

Vulpes Inculta

Hello, I was wondering how long is too long to wait in order to submit a preliminary application for the USNA? Because as it stands I will not have my official ACT scores until around October 30th, so what would you recommend as far as my situation?

Vulpes Inculta

Dan, thank you for your reply, and yes I have considered both those situations and as far as that goes I would greatly prefer going to the Navy as I wouldn't wanna stay in the same place inland for too long if I don't have too, would much rather be on the coast or on a ship.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
usna.edu would be your best source. I just clicked over there and it looks like your date is 31 December. The biggest issue that you'll run into will be getting your interviews done for the congressional nomination process in time to meet that deadline (typically most of those interviews occur in the fall). I would recommend getting in touch with the admissions office and explaining your situation to see what they say. At the very least, they can put you in touch with a Blue and Gold Officer (someone who is up to speed on the current admissions process and who is probably local) who will help you through the process.

Last edited: