• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Questions from a college junior !

Wannabeofficer

Hi all I'm new here, registered back in DEC but just got around to posting.

I'm a current 2nd semester college junior heading into my senior year and I had a few questions about becoming a naval officer. I've always wanted to serve in the military and even though no member of my family has served recently, I've always had some tie to the Navy in one form or another.

Anyways, since my graduation appears to be fast approaching I'm looking at things to do after college such as grad school or a career in the form of military service. However, I'm concerned about my prospects given how bad the economy is and how the recent defense cuts are beginning to take their toll across the services are going to eliminate any chances I have for an opening. Nonetheless, this isn't going to stop me from applying.

1. I am aiming for ether the INTEL, IW, or SWO communities. I've read something recently that the power's that be in the Navy are closing off these communities to anyone who doesn't have a STEM major? I don't have a technical/hard science degree(my major is history, with minors in international studies & intelligence analysis). Although, I do have a solid GPA, lots of good extracurriculars, and I can certainly get the recs/impress anyone in an interview.

2. I'm also very interested in the Naval Reserve Intel Officer program, which is a direct commission option. I was curious about how competitive this program is? And would I even be eligible for it given that I will only have a BA and not a masters, etc? I also heard here and there that the Navy is hurting for Reserve intel people.

3. I was curious as to how to find people to talk to about the communities that I am interested in? Granted I've been doing alot of research into this, but how do I go about setting something up?

4. How will the situation be in a year or two from now, will the impact of the cuts be as bad as it is today in terms of officer accessions?

Anyways despite all my concerns and anxieties, I think I am a strong candidate and that moving forward I should have a good packet no matter what. Also I'm equally interested in Army Reserve OCS as well.

exNavyOffRec

1. INTEL is done for a long time, IW essentially requires a year of calc and calc based phyics, SWO is opening up more. Eventually INTEL will be more tech that non tech.
2. In general you need lots of civilian experience for reserve Intel anything. The USN is not hurting at all for any reserve Intel, we get to pick and chose.
3. This site is a good source.
4. Pretty much the same, the cuts really aren't bad, the numbers have not dropped that much at all, however when people get redesignated in OCS due to not being able to be Aviation or Nuke, they go somewhere, basically successfull recruiters look for Pilots and Nukes, the rest just falls into place.

What do you consider a solid GPA?

Wannabeofficer

Hi and thanks for your reply!

Its a shame to hear that INTEL is basically closed, it was my top community choice and I'm really hot on it. However, I'm also interested in SWO so it's good to read that there is still plenty of spots open there as I've heard from other sources too. For some reason SWO is not too popular from what I know.

On the issue of Reserve INTEL that's what I figured. And I'll have to start asking around for some contacts.

My GPA is in the 3.3-3.5 range, I have plenty of meaningful extracurriculars and some leadership positions, I can prob also manage a decent PT test score too. And I have alot of other stuff that I can put into my packet too.