• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Questions on NROTC program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yanni

Midshipman
I recieved the 4-year Marine Corps Option scholarship, my question is in college apart from the extra classes what can I expect, this is something I can't wait to do, just looking for insight on what is going to happen.

ET-Mike

A-Pool Junkie
Yanni, my advice is to do a search and see if that helps. There is a lot of information on the site its just a matter of finding it. If you have any direct questions, fire away.

Crowbar

None
"What can I expect" is a pretty broad question.

If you're talking about college life in general, well, college is what you make of it. I made my college experience lots of football, plenty of running and working out, and enjoying myself with a couple of really good friends.

If you're talking about PT, field training, and the like, that will vary from school to school. It's best to talk to a Marine option student or the AMOI where you plan on going to school and finding out from them.

If you're talking about summer training, your first summer is done at CORTRAMID. I don't know what it stands for but if you poke around the site some you'll find plenty of discussion on it. It's basically an intro to different areas of the Navy, and a week with Marines. Training during your second summer varies. Several different things you can do. The summer between your junior/senior years (your last summer before you graduate) you'll do OCS. Yes, it's as hard as people say it is.

Having seen several classes of new Marine options come and go, I will offer this advice. When the NROTC staff (and student staff) tells you they expect something of you, don't screw it up. Be on time. Don't look like a fart sack full of doorknobs. If you have trouble with something, let somebody know and get help. Most of all, learn something and have fun. Yes, it is possible, regardless of what some students might say. Good luck!

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yanni,
It all depends on which NROTC you go to. Some are more "hard core" than others. A few things you can expect at ANY NROTC:

1. You will PT your butt off (Marine Standards are higher than the Navy Standards...Pull-ups, Sit-ups, 3 Mile Run)

2. You will take an NROTC class in addition to your university degree program (FR 1st Sem: Intro to Nav Sci, FR 2nd Sem: Naval History, etc)

3. You may be on the Drill team

4. You may change your degree plan (Engineering isn't for everyone)

5. You will make some VERY close friends during your time at the Unit.

6. It is'nt alway easy....sometimes it HARD...but it will be fun.

Contact your Marine Officer Instructor (MOI) at the unit you've chosen and ask the specific questions you might have...the phone numbers can be found at https://www.nrotc.navy.mil . Good luck!

ea6bflyr

Yanni said:
I recieved the 4-year Marine Corps Option scholarship, my question is in college apart from the extra classes what can I expect, this is something I can't wait to do, just looking for insight on what is going to happen.

snizo

Supply Officer
What kind of info are you looking for? How classes work? Drills? Battalion organization? Frats?

Status
Not open for further replies.