• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

questions regarding graduate school after flight school

alexkampp

Sorry if I make a typo. I'm on my iPhone.

I was told recently by a military recruiter that if on AD, I can move to the reserves at any point to go to graduate school, providing I pay my own way. Is this recruiter screwing with me?

Say, for example, I am winged and incur an 8 year ADSC. Can I move to the reserves and go to 4 years of graduate school, assuming I pay my own way? Can I come back from those 4 years of school and serve the remainder of my 8 year ADSC?

Thanks

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes and no

Sorry if I make a typo. I'm on my iPhone.

I was told recently by a military recruiter that if on AD, I can move to the reserves at any point to go to graduate school, providing I pay my own way. Is this recruiter screwing with me?

Say, for example, I am winged and incur an 8 year ADSC. Can I move to the reserves and go to 4 years of graduate school, assuming I pay my own way? Can I come back from those 4 years of school and serve the remainder of my 8 year ADSC?

Thanks

There's a difference between "can" and the Navy letting to do that. Perhaps you have heard of "Needs of the Navy"? That will determine whether your request gets approved. Main determinant is what point you are at in your career. Highly doubtful a request will be approved in the middle of the FRS or upon completion of FRS and before first assignment and during a deployment. Need to look for an appropriate "break-point". That said, if force-shaping changes come with new administration, you might have more opportunity.

Note: Read this thread as it contains many worthy posts on the subject.