• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Questions

shane_o

I'm currently a freshman at Valparaiso University and have recently changed majors from meteorology to history. I've always thought about becoming a pilot, I've been around airplanes and helicopters all my life..I love em.

First off, my eyesight isn't the best. I wear contacts but I'm not sure if my uncorrected eyesight is good enough. I can't remember exact numbers but the power on my contact box says -4.5 for one eye and -5.5 for the other if that means anything at all. Can anyone help point me somewhere where I can get a definitive answer. I'd hate to have this get in the way.

Secondly, could I become a pilot with a history major? Or would it be in my best interest to have a science major like I originally had? Math is not my strong suit and that's why I switched majors. The meteorology classes wouldn't be bad, but for my gpa's sake, the calc classes will kill me..

Just trying to figure out what I want to do with my life right now and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Shane

Rocky3168

Secondly, could I become a pilot with a history major?

Being selected for SNA/SNFO has nothing to do with your major. I know many engineers who have attrited from flight school and many humnaities majors who are flying hornets now. It all depends on your attitude, the needs of the Navy, and how well you fufill the various requirements that it takes to become a Naval Officer and aviator. It is however, mandatory to take a minimum of 2 semesters of Calculus and 2 semesters of Calculus based physics while in college. PM me with any detailed question. (I was a History major at an engineering school).

Cheers,
Rocky

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
It is however, mandatory to take a minimum of 2 semesters of Calculus and 2 semesters of Calculus based physics while in college. PM me with any detailed question.

You sure about that? Is that a Navy requirement or what?

USMC SNA - 2 semesters of Calc, 0 semesters physics...graduated triple business major with a minor

the 2 semesters of calc and physics is strictly a Navy requirement.

So, regardless of your whole application packet and ASTB score, you will NOT be chosen for a NFO billet unless you have previously completed 1 year each of Calc and Calc-based Physics in college? Does it mean anything if you took those classes in High School? When I told my recruiter I was interested in NFO, he asked me if I had taken any of those classs and when I answered 'yes, in High School' he didn't say anything further that would have led me to believe I would not be eligible. ???

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
So, regardless of your whole application packet and ASTB score, you will NOT be chosen for a NFO billet unless you have previously completed 1 year each of Calc and Calc-based Physics in college? Does it mean anything if you took those classes in High School? When I told my recruiter I was interested in NFO, he asked me if I had taken any of those classs and when I answered 'yes, in High School' he didn't say anything further that would have led me to believe I would not be eligible. ???

It is only a requirement for 4-year NROTC scholarship winners, don't fret. ;)

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
If you enjoyed calc in High School, I'd go ahead and take two or three semesters if you have the time/money. Of course, take my opinion with a HUGE grain of salt, because it's based on me being a physics major, not an aviator. I just thought the vector calc / ODE stuff could perhaps be useful for NFO, maybe even for pilot.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Never had a day of calc or physics in college, and look where it got me... Take the classes you want to take and get a degree that's of interest to you. Your GPA will be higher, and you won't be miserable for four years. If you end up w/ an NROTC scholarship and it's required, that's one thing. If you're not on scholarship, then it's a non-issue. I know flying music majors, guys w/ geology and English degrees, etc. History isn't an issue at all.

blackjack_rj

Alpha PHlyer
Yeah major doesn't matter. I was selected for STA-21 Pilot Option, and I'm majoring in Sociology when I go back to school. Like Rocky said, attitude is what gets you through. Show motivation and you will not be stopped. That's the advice that was given to me, and it is working so far.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
It is only a requirement for 4-year NROTC scholarship winners, don't fret. ;)

Not true...it is also a requirement for STA-21 selectees...at least it was
when I was picked up. Blackjack is right though....major doesn't matter.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
First off, my eyesight isn't the best. I wear contacts but I'm not sure if my uncorrected eyesight is good enough. I can't remember exact numbers but the power on my contact box says -4.5 for one eye and -5.5 for the other if that means anything at all. Can anyone help point me somewhere where I can get a definitive answer. I'd hate to have this get in the way.

The beauty of going into the military as an officer is that you can study something like history simply because you want to and not worry about "what you're going to do with it" after college.

Now that everyone has put your mind at ease about the academic side, your vision isn't good enough as you need 20/40 uncorrected. There is the soft contact lens waiver, but I know nothing about that and I'm sure others can chime in. The other option is PRK, but that isn't advisable until you're a little older and sure your vision has stopped changing.

Good luck...and don't forget to enjoy your college years. ;)

shane_o

Thanks for all the advice. I'll look into the whole contact lens waiver. We'll see what I can find out.

Thanks
Shane