• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Quick question

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
sh89 said:
What exactly is a tech major?

Is chemistry considered a tech major?

Mmm kinda. I'd bet the Navy considers Chemistry just a science major. Chemical Engineering would be a tech major. Just semantics really. At my school, if you didn't have "engineering" in your major, you weren't a tech major.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
TheBubba said:
I guess it can vary school to school...

Yeah, just depends on your school's mindset I guess. Maybe at a liberal arts school, Chemistry or Biology or Physics is a tech major, but at an Engineering school, they're just science. That's my take at least. Not sure how the Navy treats it, I can't remember.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I'm guessing that sh89 means what NROTC considers a tech major. I could not find the answer on the NROTC website.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
HH-60H said:
I'm guessing that sh89 means what NROTC considers a tech major. I could not find the answer on the NROTC website.

If memory serves me right, Hard Sciences and Engineering majors are considered the same to NROTC, such as Physics, Chemistry, Electrical Engineering, etc. Soft sciences like Biology are one step lower. (Sorry Biology majors, I know it's hard stuff, but it's never been considered on the level of Physics and such). Then you have everything else. It may have changed or my memory could be wrong.

billiken2002

pilot
Here at Purdue, it's been understood as Science (Chemistry, Physics, Math); Engineering; and Technology (Mech. Engineering Technology, Elec. Engineering Technology, Aviation Technology) are all considered technical majors.

illinijoe05

Nachos
pilot
I just graduated with a degree in physics. From what i was told NROTC does not consider the following majors technical, Physics, math, statistics, biology, chemistry, biophysics, biochem. They consider them sciences. And are not looked upon as highly as engineering majors. Any engineering is tech as well as computer science.