• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random question about Tailhooks

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was practicing preflighting a T-45 the other day and had a question for the saltier winged types and/or history buffs. What is the purpose of the black and white stripes on the tailhook? Or is it just for decoration, since I've seen most modern fleet jets don't have it anymore?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
nittany03 said:
.....What is the purpose of the black and white stripes on the tailhook? Or is it just for decoration, since I've seen most modern fleet jets don't have it anymore?
To make the hook down position more visible for the hook spotter and/or the LSO and/or the Boss when the a/c is in the visual pattern at the ship. No hook down @ the 180 is a bottle for the LSO. Why they don't do it now (they don't???) is beyond me --- perhaps they don't want to see you in the pattern ... ??? (kidding) :)

Plus ... it's really pretty ....

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Concur with A4s, made it easier to see the talihook was down.

Would probably spoil our low-vis haze grey tactical paint schemes these days.

Ever notice how the bottom of a jet can be painted to look like the top by the addition of a false canopy?...a black and white ringed tailhook might show up there and ruin the effect.

r/
G

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
Still striped... just not blatantly obvious white-on-black like in the old school suckas...

East

东部
Contributor
Schnuggapup said:
Concur with A4s, made it easier to see the talihook was down.

Would probably spoil our low-vis haze grey tactical paint schemes these days.

Ever notice how the bottom of a jet can be painted to look like the top by the addition of a false canopy?...a black and white ringed tailhook might show up there and ruin the effect.

r/
G

Can paint a fake tailhook on top as well... :icon_smil
BTW thanks for you know what...