• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Raptor Party Trick

flysupertomcat

Jim told me I can buy Gaydar online
Link didn't work for me, but I saw the Raptor pull some Cobra like moves at the Langley airshow last weekend. Sure it's impressive, doubt there's any combat worth of that move though.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Woohoo! Watch me sell all my energy! Come shoot me!

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
I saw this thread and thought you guys found out about the "first and last midshipman hail and fairwell"

to vfa-22... I'm sorry:D

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
Well, Harrier VIFF'ing worked well enough in the Falklands versus Argentian Mirages.

As for the Raptor, I have a copy at home of one of the prototypes that got into thrust vectored PIO bouncing down the runway. Not pretty.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
SteveG75 said:
Well, Harrier VIFF'ing worked well enough in the Falklands versus Argentian Mirages.

As for the Raptor, I have a copy at home of one of the prototypes that got into thrust vectored PIO bouncing down the runway. Not pretty.
Meat! You're alive, you old b@stard. How's "The Project" going? You teaching all the dirt-eaters what a sine wave looks like? :D

Brett

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Wow, can you say back side of the power curve! From talking to one of my OCS buddies who flies the superhornet, those kind of slow maneuvers can be very advantageous in a dog fight, "under performing" the other plane (something the P-3 does very well). Can any of you jet bubbas shed some light on this?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
PropStop said:
Wow, can you say back side of the power curve! From talking to one of my OCS buddies who flies the superhornet, those kind of slow maneuvers can be very advantageous in a dog fight, "under performing" the other plane (something the P-3 does very well). Can any of you jet bubbas shed some light on this?
I'm sure the pointy-nosed guys can explain this better than I, but there's a big difference between high AOA performance (good) and hanging in the air from the force of your own exhaust (just neat-o)

Brett

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
SteveG75 said:

I debriefing some of the Harrier guys and one of Argentine types and VIFFing was not used in the Falklands. Mainly because the Argentines had barely enough gas and made their passes and skedaddled. The Sea Harriers were never in a defensive position requiring VIFFing, which would have been a last ditch maneuver.