• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Re-intro/Question for OSO's

jeff_264

Howdy everyone,

Going to try to keep this novel as short and to the point as possible. I've had my sights on Naval Aviation since I was a freshman in high school when I started flying lessons on a whim. Got my PPL at 17, graduated high school and started college while working on a Marine PLC air contract I never got. Alone and exposed to the world, the women and booze got the best of me and I ended up blowing my GPA to a whopping .462 by the time my freshman year was up. I ended up transferring schools, since the first University wasn't too interested in having me back. Long story short I made the judgement call that I wasn't mature enough to be an officer or even make it through school so I enlisted in the Navy. Here we are 2.5 years down the road and I've slowly been rebuilding my GPA through online courses from the second school I attended. Its finally up around the 3.0 mark and Im feeling like Im getting the wind back in me to start pursuing my dream again. Obviously STA-21 is an option and I am working with my CCC to get a package in for FY-17. Since we all know chances for that program are slim; I am also planning on continuing my studies and applying through OCS, either while still AD, or after I EAS in roughly 2.5 years. Im majoring in intelligence, analysis, and security studies at Angelo State University in San Angelo Tx. Through my original process in college I understood that any bachelors would suffice. Today, however, I spoke to a NC chief who referred me to cnrc.navy.mil for the most up to date info on requirements. In the instruction for pilot/nfo it specifically states a Bachelors of Arts or Science is required. My degree is a Bachelor of Security Studies. Is this going to dq me since its not a BS or a BA? While I could start over with another degree I would like to avoid it if at all possible. Sorry for the long post.

Renegade One

None
Interesting question and I would defer to an OSO for ground truth, but I got a BBA (Bachelor of Business Administration) which was always just regarded as a Bachelor's Degree with a "focus" on business administration…it was neither greater nor lesser than a BA or a BS. I would think your situation would be the same, especially since your focus area strikes me as very relevant to a commissioning program. A Bachelor of Animal Husbandry (if there is such a thing) might be less so.

I'm pretty sure your degree is "fully qualifying", but ask someone who can give you a definitive answer.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Any bachelors degree is all you need to apply for pilot. Yes big Navy is looking for more STEM majors but having a BA vice BS will not hurt your chances getting selected. Focus on getting thru the ASTB, that's the biggest indicator for selection into Naval Aviation.

jeff_264

Thanks guys,

That puts my mind at ease. I took the ASTB back during my freshman year. Scored a 7/8/7, 58 OAR. From what I understand a score is good for life.