• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Read this if you are considering a military college

Status
Not open for further replies.

etnuclearsailor

STA 21 Nuclear OC
This is mostly a spoof, but something to consider for those of you seeking to spend your NROTC time at a military- style college.

SUNY Maritime: The Military Experience.​

One of the first things that strikes you when arriving to the campus is the waterfront location. Maritime College is surrounded on three sides by some grease-like substance that used to be water and now fills the Long Island Sound.
Most of the students are part of a day care system known as the Regiment. They wear U.S. Navy officer uniforms, or at least they put on the components for Navy uniforms. UPS has stricter uniform standards that SUNY Maritime, and frankly, I’m not quite sure why some students even bother to wear them at all.
During the school day, the cadets wear khaki shirts and khaki pants. Cadets sport pins in random locations on their collars to indicate class or rank (if a first class). When I say random, I mean random. There appears to be no regulation concerning the location of these devices. The Cadets wear black jackets, the exact same model as worn by enlisted Sailors. Utilizing the zipper is optional for all except for fourth-class cadets. In addition, flipping the collar is an option for all upper-class cadets. In fact, in many cases, cadets can wear whatever jacket they chose. Some choose to continue wearing the black jackets after their fourth class year, but many choose to wear Maritime windbreakers. Others still chose to wear the tops from their warm-up suits, or some wear jackets that have nothing to do with Maritime at all.
Khaki garrison caps are standard. The manner in which they are worn, or whether or not they are clean, is completely up to the cadet. Ball caps and ski caps are also optional for those cadets third class and above. Maritime ball caps are preferred, but NY Yankee ball caps are also acceptable. Ball caps must be worn on the back of the head in order to appear as un-military as possible. This regulation is strictly enforced upon first class cadets, especially “rates” (first class cadets with ranks). Covers are optional indoors and out.
Dress uniforms are worn for special occasions. In the winter, the uniform worn is an exact copy of the Navy Officer’s Service Dress Blue, with variation on insignia. For summer dress, Maritime decided to go the cheapest route possible. Summer dress uniform is simply SDB trousers, black shoes with a white, short-sleeved shirt.
For working conditions, or when cadets are feeling especially lazy, there is the boiler suit. Boiler suits are blue coveralls of various designs. Cadets paint their names on random places on the backs of them. I’m not quite sure whether boiler suits are a uniform or not, as it appears they can be worn with anything. Any color T-shirt (or none at all), any shoes, any hat, any jacket, any sweatshirt, anything goes.
Most military schools require uniforms be pressed and clean, but not SUNY Maritime. As far as I can tell, irons and ironing boards are contraband.
Haircuts are also not regulated here. Aside from the fourth class cadets (who sport bald heads year round), any hair length is allowed (aside from hippie lengths; the line has to be drawn somewhere). Shaving is optional for upper-class cadets. Indoctrination Duty Officers and Squad Leaders are not required to shave, but they are required to scream at fourth-class cadets who do not shave.
Military bearing is not a requirement. Eating while walking, smoking while walking, saluting with objects in your hands (especially for rates), any of these is permitted at SUNY Maritime.
This report will be updated as facts become more readily available. My initial findings are that SUNY Maritime is less regulated than an NJROTC and has more in common with a Catholic trade school than a service academy. If you want to wear uniforms, but not worry about being overly regulated, come to Maritime. If you want a good military experience, go elsewhere.

There are some other things to consider, such as the MMR program offered here and the NYC location.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
etnuclearsailor said:
This is mostly a spoof, but something to consider for those of you seeking to spend your NROTC time at a military- style college.

SUNY Maritime: The Military Experience.​

One of the first things that strikes you when arriving to the campus is the waterfront location. Maritime College is surrounded on three sides by some grease-like substance that used to be water and now fills the Long Island Sound.
Most of the students are part of a day care system known as the Regiment. They wear U.S. Navy officer uniforms, or at least they put on the components for Navy uniforms. UPS has stricter uniform standards that SUNY Maritime, and frankly, I’m not quite sure why some students even bother to wear them at all.
During the school day, the cadets wear khaki shirts and khaki pants. Cadets sport pins in random locations on their collars to indicate class or rank (if a first class). When I say random, I mean random. There appears to be no regulation concerning the location of these devices. The Cadets wear black jackets, the exact same model as worn by enlisted Sailors. Utilizing the zipper is optional for all except for fourth-class cadets. In addition, flipping the collar is an option for all upper-class cadets. In fact, in many cases, cadets can wear whatever jacket they chose. Some choose to continue wearing the black jackets after their fourth class year, but many choose to wear Maritime windbreakers. Others still chose to wear the tops from their warm-up suits, or some wear jackets that have nothing to do with Maritime at all.
Khaki garrison caps are standard. The manner in which they are worn, or whether or not they are clean, is completely up to the cadet. Ball caps and ski caps are also optional for those cadets third class and above. Maritime ball caps are preferred, but NY Yankee ball caps are also acceptable. Ball caps must be worn on the back of the head in order to appear as un-military as possible. This regulation is strictly enforced upon first class cadets, especially “rates” (first class cadets with ranks). Covers are optional indoors and out.
Dress uniforms are worn for special occasions. In the winter, the uniform worn is an exact copy of the Navy Officer’s Service Dress Blue, with variation on insignia. For summer dress, Maritime decided to go the cheapest route possible. Summer dress uniform is simply SDB trousers, black shoes with a white, short-sleeved shirt.
For working conditions, or when cadets are feeling especially lazy, there is the boiler suit. Boiler suits are blue coveralls of various designs. Cadets paint their names on random places on the backs of them. I’m not quite sure whether boiler suits are a uniform or not, as it appears they can be worn with anything. Any color T-shirt (or none at all), any shoes, any hat, any jacket, any sweatshirt, anything goes.
Most military schools require uniforms be pressed and clean, but not SUNY Maritime. As far as I can tell, irons and ironing boards are contraband.
Haircuts are also not regulated here. Aside from the fourth class cadets (who sport bald heads year round), any hair length is allowed (aside from hippie lengths; the line has to be drawn somewhere). Shaving is optional for upper-class cadets. Indoctrination Duty Officers and Squad Leaders are not required to shave, but they are required to scream at fourth-class cadets who do not shave.
Military bearing is not a requirement. Eating while walking, smoking while walking, saluting with objects in your hands (especially for rates), any of these is permitted at SUNY Maritime.
This report will be updated as facts become more readily available. My initial findings are that SUNY Maritime is less regulated than an NJROTC and has more in common with a Catholic trade school than a service academy. If you want to wear uniforms, but not worry about being overly regulated, come to Maritime. If you want a good military experience, go elsewhere.

There are some other things to consider, such as the MMR program offered here and the NYC location.

WTF?????????:confused:

etnuclearsailor

STA 21 Nuclear OC
Well, let me explain...
I am a STA 21 OC at SUNY Maritime, and I'm just a little fed up with the total lack of military bearing displayed by their license cadets. It wouldn't bother me so much if they wore some other uniform, but they wear NAVY uniforms in their little regiment. It leaves me seething mad.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
But "lack of military bearing" and a Navy uniform go together like peanut butter and jelly. Where's the problem?

JC52083

We need T-6 Avatars
I just graduated from Fordham, spent way too much time at SUNY for drill, or lab, or whatever they want to call it. You're right...those SUNY cadets wear their uniforms like an abortion. The Gunny before this one used to challenge the non-rotc cadets, but they more or less told him to buzz off. How they were able to do that is beyond me. Its pretty bad, and I hope it gets better one day.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
etnuclearsailor said:
Well, let me explain...
I am a STA 21 OC at SUNY Maritime, and I'm just a little fed up with the total lack of military bearing displayed by their license cadets. It wouldn't bother me so much if they wore some other uniform, but they wear NAVY uniforms in their little regiment. It leaves me seething mad.

Okay, I get it now. But isn't it a bit of an inside joke? I really did not get it until you explained it a little further. Plus, why title the thread Read this if you are considering a military college? I went to a military college and it was nothing like what the little diddy described. If we had told a Gunny to go stuff it we would have been stuffed, into a dark hole somewhere.....

Just observations, a little odd for a thread I thought......

etnuclearsailor

STA 21 Nuclear OC
That is exactly my point, Flash. A military college shouldn't look like the description I offered. That's why I included in the last line, "If you want a good military experience, go elsewhere." I know VMA, The Citadel, Texas A&M, or any other military college would not allow an environment like Maritime allows. I'm throwing this out there because I think it's funny.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
I got the joke, but seriously, is Maritime that bad? Visited a few years back and really didn't seem that bad.

etnuclearsailor

STA 21 Nuclear OC
What can I do? I'm not in the regiment (STA 21 OC's are not members of the regiment). I've spoken to the assistant commandant of the regiment, and I bring it up with the students whenever I can.

KBayDog

Da Bronx is not known for being a "military" town, so you have to understand that these college kids aren't used to seeing high-and-tights everywhere they look. In fact, the OCs and NROTC staff may be their only interaction with the "real" military. At other, larger military schools, there is a larger active/reserve/retired military presence.

That being said, here are a few ideas:

1. Continue to lead by example.
2. Hammer home to the kids (NROTC-types) what is expected of them as an officer. THESE are the students you should be focused on - not the general student population.
3. Hold uniform/customs & courtesies classes. It may be a pain in the butt, but they will be your peers (without the benefit of OCS/enlisted experience, I might add), and more importantly, tomorrow's leaders.
4. Be creative - I'm sure others have some ideas for you.

Finally, realize that not everyone at that school (or The Citadel, VMI, Norwich, A&M, etc.) seeks a military commission. They are state military schools, not Canoe-U or Harvard on the Hudson. Some kids are there because they are legacies and "Daddy" is paying for it (and won't let them go anywhere else), some are on scholarships, some want the civilian connections, some want a quasi-military college life, etc, etc, etc. You will never be able to change these people. All you can really control is yourself, so make their limited exposure to the "real" military a positive one.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Plus you gotta learn the lingo down there. Being on the border of the Bronx and Queens, you gotta start and end with "yo" or "yo, fvckin' yo," and on the other side it's ALWAYS and EVERYTHING "fvckin A!," respectively.

After you get those down, find out who is from what side of the border and use accordingly. Example, for the Bronx students start off with "yo, fvckin, yo' uniform needs to have some sawt of orda! Get yo' haircurt too, yo."

For the Queens kids, start off with "Fvckin A! Your fvckin A is all messed up! (point to uniform) Learn to cut this too! (point to hair; slap back of head) Fvckin A! Get outta heeaare!"

For the Upstaters, just speak fairly normally, and say "you guys" and not "ya'll" when referring to groups. Learn when not to pronounce the letter "t," like when referring to Westchester County, it's pronounced "Westchester Cow-knee."

O and for the New Englanders there just start off "tahkin bout dem' Sawx."

AW Smileys :) :icon_tong, :icon_tong, :icon_smil, :icon_wink ,:D ,:icon_smil

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
KBay, some good points but all in all this thread is stupid and over.

Status
Not open for further replies.