• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Realistic shot at OCS?

yankEdoodLdandE

Hello,

I frequent this site often nd decided to register and post today. Mainly becuase I've seen stories of comissioned member that somehwat resemble my current circumstance. Atleast chronologically...age wise. Anyway heres me story.....

In highschool I was all about baseball and dry handjobs. Dead "C" student and was decent enough at ball to get the Citadel baseball coaches to push for my applications acceptance. For those who are not familiar with this school, my sport is theyre flagship athletic program. That said my transcripts were so bad that it did not matter and I got denied. Eventually opted to pursue junior college oppurtunities in Florida, Arizona, and West Virginia. Got a nice offer that would of pretty much made the cost of the first two years of school a layup for my folks. However this school was in the middle of nowhere and as soon as I was on my official visit I wanted to leave. Suffice to say I didnt sign anf decided to just take classes at a 4 year near my home. Was kinda lost in terms of identity not having sports in my life anymore and being 18 and stupid I dropped out.

Worked for two years afterwards working here and there at a family business. Not totally dead end but its a trade and after seeing my old man having to bust his ass to make a great living off of it I decided I needed to get a real career started. So I went back to my CC which is where I am just about to finish up now. Had some semesters were I basically showed up and did the minimum and others where I got lucky and had great pofessors that really brought out study habits I never knew I had. The eb and flow of this has gotten me a 2.86, and feel I could hunker down and finish the bachelors with a 3.5 or just under. I'm majoring in Criminal Justice becuase I suck badly at math.

Looking forward to what's next after school, I have decided I'd like to pursue a commission in either of the 3 branch's that fly, or Warrant Officer in the Army. Being partial to the Navy all my life I thought I would come here and see what the community is like and if there is any advise I could derive from the boards. Was intrigued by some of your stories and pasts but wasnt sure wether my being a total fuckup for two years prior college, and going to a CC first would be a killer.

looking to know what else I should be doing in particular from now until graduation. Taking a computer programming class in hopes to getting an internship to a Lockheed division near my house. Also considering a PPL or atleast a ground school certification as 10k plus would be hard to do being a brokedick college boy. Also if im out of line, flaming wont hurt my feelings. Would like to be corrected on how things are run here if im going about it wrong.

Regards,

Curt

Boomhower

Shoot, man, it's that dang ol' internet
None
In highschool I was all about baseball and dry handjobs.

OK, this line is funny. You should fit in just fine around here.

There are a lot of "what are my chances?" posts on here and they rarely go well. However, your brand of humor has softened me a bit.

I wish I could tell you. Back when I got a commision they were begging for guys so I'm not the authority on what it takes these days. I never would have made it into aviation with what they are asking for today. I do know that you will never really find out unless you go talk to a recruiter. That is Step #1.

Good luck!

jtmedli

pilot
In highschool I was all about baseball and dry handjobs.

Yea you got me with that one too. Pretty funny.

I'm majoring in Criminal Justice becuase I suck badly at math.

Don't sell yourself short. I almost failed high school Trigonometry and then went to college and majored in Electrical Engineering and got scary good at some trig/calculus. I've come to the realization that you only stay bad at things that you're not willing to push through and force yourself to become adept at.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
looking to know what else I should be doing in particular from now until graduation. Taking a computer programming class in hopes to getting an internship to a Lockheed division near my house. Also considering a PPL or atleast a ground school certification as 10k plus would be hard to do being a brokedick college boy. Also if im out of line, flaming wont hurt my feelings. Would like to be corrected on how things are run here if im going about it wrong.
1. Get A's 2. Perform well at your job(s) (recommendations help) 3. participate in extra-curricular's that you enjoy. 4. Get/stay in shape 5. Study for the ASTB.

Last, but probably should be done ASAP: talk to an officer recruiter. The application process is lengthy.

Also, have you taken a year of calc? When I applied I think there was a line about aviation preferring someone have that year of math (it was/is not a requirement, though). That might help if you have some extra time, as long as you can get A's.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Math doesn't mean shit in Aviation...I should know, I have my degree in Animal Science, took 1 course of business math, got a C-...called it a day. They look at the total person. I got in with a 3.02 in a non-tech major. Focus on everything in your resume, get some extra-curriculars, don't get arrested, do good on the ASTB.

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
I'd focus on putting the past behind you, and busting your ass to get as high of grades as you possibly can at a four year university.

It's ok (although not advisable) to have been young and stupid once, usually so long as it doesn't include things like DUIs, drug use, etc. If you were a poor student in high school, but you turn it around at a four year university, show that you are teachable and can get good grades and maybe take up leadership positions on campus you should be allright....

I have several friends that got in and did this... They usually fessed up for their lack of motivation or problems in high school and chalked it up to immaturity, etc, but demonstrated that they have grown up, smartened up, and are now seriously and ambitiously pursuing a career as a naval officer.

I'm not saying that your past isn't a problem and you are a shoe in, but others have certainly overcome this stuff before.

I'm also under the school of thought that regardless of how much you suck at any given subject (math, english, science, history, life), that with some hard work and some after school mentoring or one on one time with an instructor, you can go from an F- student, to an A++ student. It comes down to you making an effort.

As previously stated, don't sell yourself short by just convincing yourself that you'll never be good at something...

Bottom line, if you want it bad enough, drop the past baggage overnight, wake up tomorrow with a newfound attitude and high level of motivation, and set out to be an 'A' student and improve your package in any way possible. Apply as many times as it takes for them to say yes.

Afterburner209

Good muster guys.
.....In highschool I was all about baseball and dry handjobs. Dead "C" student and was decent enough .....

That about sums up my attitude when I was there, C's get Degree's was my motto.

Not totally dead end but its a trade and after seeing my old man having to bust his ass to make a great living off of it I decided I needed to get a real career started.....

Reminds me of my parents. Hard workers, who bust their asses for peanuts. I knew I needed to do something to make sure that wasn't me.

....my being a total fuckup for two years prior college, and going to a CC first would be a killer. ......

High School doesn't hold too much weight. Going to a CC is what I did. Bring your grades up and talk to a Officer Recruiter ASAP, get the ball rolling.

looking to know what else I should be doing in particular from now until graduation. .....

The big things to focus on are Grades (major doesn't much matter but does apply), stay healthy and in shape, and lastly stay out of trouble. I'm majoring in Human Communication and I got selected. I learn how to talk to people, it's a common sense major. If I can get selected any major can.

Would like to be corrected on how things are run here if im going about it wrong......

Just be careful what you say and who you say it to. You may run into alot of these members. Also, use the search function for every question you have. Only if after searching you cannot find what you are looking for do you post a thread. If you need any help with the process you can PM me.

Good Luck.

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None
If you really are in Boston, you've got it easy as far as meeting up with an Officer Recruiter. Navy Recruiting District New England is in the Barnes Building on Summer St., near the Fort Point Channel.

Just as an aside, this shit is one of the things that I really like about Navy Air. A guy like you, who the Air Force would never in a million years consider for a pilot/WSO slot (unless things have changed dramatically since back in the day), can make a good case for himself, with proper presentation and a show of determination. It makes for a much better rounded and more interesting wardroom. The guy that got me interested in AOCS (he graduted a year before me and was living on a couch in my fraterninty waiting to hear on his AOCS selection, after his dad kicked him out of the house) was an American Literature major who failed a few courses. He ended up flying Hornets.

Good luck, and don't give up until you're sick of being told "no."

LET73

Good luck, and don't give up until you're sick of being told "no."

+1. Recruiters get a lot of people walking through the door wanting to fly airplanes. It's on you to get the process moving along, and you may not get a whole lot of help from your recruiter. He or she isn't going to waste time on someone who wants to get picked up for a popular designator, simply because if you give up, there are plenty of other people to take those slots. A little story: When I was applying to OCS, I had to pull information from my recruiter constantly. She called me maybe twice, while I was calling/emailing/showing up at the office quite a bit. My first choice was intel, and the odds of my getting picked up were pretty low, so she didn't devote much time to really recruiting me. After I finished OCS, I was stashed at the same office (NRD New England, incidentally). My recruiter had some prospects who were thinking about going nuke. She called them constantly, made sure they got everything done, checked their packages, helped out with their motivational statements... you get the idea. There was a higher demand for nukes, so it was worth her time to do that. The lesson is that when you want a job a lot of other people want, too, you have to be the one to show the recruiter that you're serious about it.

Just be careful what you say and who you say it to. You may run into alot of these members. Those with wings under their names are commisioned officers.

Some of us without wings are also commissioned officers, either student aviator-types, or miscellaneous other designators.

LET73

No worries; I figured you probably did, but thought I'd go ahead and clarify for any n00bs who were planning on mouthing off to anyone without wings.... :D

Will_T

Will_T
If you really are in Boston, you've got it easy as far as meeting up with an Officer Recruiter. Navy Recruiting District New England is in the Barnes Building on Summer St., near the Fort Point Channel.

The guy I deal with for nrotc is based in Boston, and i think this address is right, so if you want, I can PM you his number.

Immy

The guy you deal with for NROTC is probably your NROTC coordinator, not an officer recruiter.

Unless you're doing your interview with the officer recruiter there, which could be.

yankEdoodLdandE

The guy I deal with for nrotc is based in Boston, and i think this address is right, so if you want, I can PM you his number.

Will T,

I would appreciate that information. Feel free to PM me anytime. I never considered NROTC becuase the school I will end up at in the fall has no Naval program of any kind. That said, I have 2 years to bang on doors and ring phones off the hook so the luxury of time allows me oppurtunity to be a nuisance if it is what must be done to get the ball rolling. My only hesitation is my intial approach. Figuring the longer I wait the more attractive my GPA would be, as well as the fact I'd have more classes under my belt. It's just the fear of going about things too soon and being turned away becuase of bad timing on my part.

Most greatly appreciate the time from everyone both commissioned members, as well as others who are presently trying to get in. Stories like OnTopTime's college friend is quite inspiring in the sheer scope of what that guy ended up doing in aviation. The Navy seems to certainly looks at the whole person and they're sincerity, which instills hope. As corny as that sounds.

For the poster who asked, I don't live in Boston. Actually 50 minutes south and about 40 minutes east of Newport. In kinda of the drive by country for Cap Cod types. However I could make a trip to the Boston office if that is what I should do.

Again I have much gratitude over the reasponses and help. I would like to let the thread full up with people like it as so far. As my participation on the board would just take up bandwith. In the end I would like to leave something informative for people with similar inquiries.

Regards,

Curt