• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

reasons for rejection

Status
Not open for further replies.

minnow8a

I have some questions that I was hoping some of you folks might be able to help me with.

I recently applied for an aviator slot with the Navy but was denied. The reasons weren't specific, but I have a graduate degree, about 60 hours of flight time, and a 4.0. However, I'm 26 and I've turned down an NFO position in the past. I'm wondering if these two factors have led to my denial.

Is there an appeal process to find out specifically why I was denied? Also, if I wanted to reapply, what is the best way to go about doing so? I spoke to a professor of mine who was a naval aviator and he mentioned about accepting an NFO position then applying to switch. What's the likelihood of that happening?

Also, I've begun inquiring at other branches as well. The local air force officer recruiter mentioned they were looking for candidates with flight hours in the 300+ region. I know this can't be the overall consensus with all pilot applicants, so I'm wondering if I should go to a recruiter from a different geographic region.

Do any of you have this experience?

Thanks for any the help...

wilsonator

Minnow,
I was in a similar position a couple of years ago, I finished OCS two days after my 27th birthday so I was given a waiver for my pilot slot. Things were tight, in terms of slots back then, they are even worse now. There are long delays to start training and long delays during. I don't want to be pessimistic but my guess would be you didn't get a slot because there aren't any and you would be too old to go to OCS if they gave you a FY 06 slot. They don't need to give out waivers anymore because they have more applicants than slots. If you can get some letters of rec from some Navy pilots and reapply, I'd do it.
As far as switching to pilot after becoming an NFO is concerned, realize that you would do this post first fleet tour, in other words you would get winged and do a three year tour with a squadron then apply for a redes. It happens, there were NFO's in my primary squadron who made the switch. It adds on another 8 year committment when you get your pilot wings and keep in mind that there are other NFO's who are planning to do the same thing so be good at what you do.
Lastly (sorry for the long winded post), look into the Marine Corp. Find out if you like what they do because they need pilots badly from my understanding. Marines on the forum, shed some light. Also, look into the Air National Guard and Air Force Reserves, you can find units to hire you directly and send you to UPT, they will be more concerned with your personality over your log book. The trick with them is to start getting to know a unit and kind of rushing them like a fraternity. Also the age for UPT is 29 or 30? so you've got time. Check out baseops.net and studentpilot.net forums for some advice on guard and reserves if you are interested. Good luck, keep flying civilian and don't give up.

Road Program

Hangin' on by the static wicks
None
minnow...that's a very real possibility. The one immutable truth in the Navy is that not every knows what they're talking about. Your recruiter might know all there is to know or he might just tell you something to get you off his back because he has a report due and is going on leave as soon as he gets it done. Yes, it sucks, but it happens.

As far as being turned down for pilot because you turned down an NFO spot...yeah, that can look kind of bad. That's just my thoughts, though...I don't know what I'm talking about. I have to do a report before I head out on leave.

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
There is a maximum age at commisioning based on designator. NFO is higher than pilot. The age is waiverable for prior ENLISTED service based on the designator. I looked at this for one of my enlisted who wanted to go to OCS.

Couple of things no one every mentions about NFO-pilot transitions:
1) Approximately 12/year Navy wide - very competitive.
2) You take your selection chances in pilot training with everyone else. (i.e. F/A-18F WSO could become a P-3 pilot)
3) Two+ years of unobserved fitreps. Not a career positive. Plus, you will be the FNG all over again but trying to get some career fitrep jobs done so a transition may derail chances for command, etc.

wilsonator

on my ocs app, i didn't list nfo so i'm not sure if that would be a reason for rejection. more likely you would get picked up for nfo if there was a spot then deal with the transition factor. also, my two cents about the nfo pipiline, a bunch of my friends are going through it and it seems very demanding, in some aspects more so than pilot training with all the charts they have to construct. i'd be sure that you are up for that if you decide to go nfo and try for the transition. i honestly don't think a different district would make a difference (i could definitely be wrong) only because there is only one board that makes the decision so regardless of where your app originated, it didn't get selected. i would however, talk to your recruiter about reasons for rejection and if he is not helpful, i'd see someone else that will be more proactive about getting you into the navy. once again, good luck.

xof

The word down in a-pool...

The powers that be have told everybody waiting for flight school to behave very, very, very well because naval aviation community is very overmanned. As in there are currently 100 pilots and nfo's going through flight training than the navy has room for. So, they're looking for excuses to boot people, and are not rushing to let more in. Another thing. As it has been explained to me, the Academy and ROTC programs are the 'stable supply' of junior officers to the fleet for all warfare communities; OCS is more of a variable source. So, the needs of the navy being what they are - needing fewer junior officers - OCS slots will be the first to go. Do bear in mind that I'm just repeating unsubstantiated rumors from sources I don't even recall.

Status
Not open for further replies.