• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Rebuilding the Iraqi Air Force?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grant

Has anybody heard any talk of rebuilding the Iraqi AF? I havent, and am curious about it. I was wondering if we'll even allow them to have such a force at all. But if we do, would we supply them with aircraft or would we attempt to salvage what remains of their Soviet made aircraft?

Granted, they have bigger issues on their plate at the moment, but eventually I'm sure the topic will come up, as they try to show their independence.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'd imagine they'd end up with something like we allowed Japan and Germany after WWII, geared toward defense with a limited to non-existant ability to project power beyond its own borders. They'll need something to keep their borders secure after we leave; I can easily see the mullahs of Iran or maybe even the Saudi royal family feeling threatened by an honest-to-goodness liberal Muslim democracy right on their border.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
IAF future TO&E ???

I know nothing nor do I have "inside information"; but past experience would dictate:

Helos, transport/utility, and ... and ... and ... why, I guess that's it !! Equipment to take care of "in-country" housekeeping requirements and nothing to threaten their neighbors -- or Israel. Period.

Any "heavy lifting" in the region for the forseeable future (Iran? Syria? pick a number ...) will be done by "UNCLE"... just a guess.
:)

Tripp

You think you hate it now...
From Aviation Week:

Iraqi Air Force Gets First Aircraft
Aviation Week & Space Technology
06/28/2004

Edited by Patricia J. Parmalee

Iraqi Air Force

The U.S. Army has scrapped a planned acquisition of eight fixed-wing surveillance airplanes for Iraq because none of the bidders could meet requirements. However, the U.S. Central Command instead has moved forward and purchased two Australian-built SB7L-360 Seeker reconnaissance aircraft for the Iraqi air force with the goal of buying 14 more. The first are set for delivery in mid-July to the Basra airport. The Iraqi air force currently numbers about 150 people and should reach 500 by year-end, U.S. Central Command noted. Jordan also has offered 16 helicopters and two C-130 transports to neighboring Iraq. The Centcom-bought aircraft are being pressed into the same role the U.S. Army had spelled out, surveillance of national infrastructure and borders

2951-air.jpg

Now I'm not one to criticize many airframes (after all, flight time is flight time is flight time), but man, that is one ugly bird. :eek: It looks like a JetRanger with wings...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Seeker-freaker ?

It looks more like a Republic SeaBee -- or am I just crazy ??? Check the first two pix. And UGLY ??? Naaaa .... it's just a "classic". :)

expbee.jpg
seabee8.jpg
SB7L-360_2.jpg

J. Hooper (L.) & Seabee Designer
P.H.Spencer
with Seabee RC-1 prototype 1946

Some "good ideas" never seem to change do they?
AT LEAST THE SEABEE CAN LAND ON THE TIGRIS-EUPHRATES. :)

updatba.gif
ROGER BALL !!

AirRyan

Have them buy Gripens, their good enough for self defense and not quite a long ranged standoff platform, designed for the smaller borders of Sweden. I'm not too keen on selling them much of any US combat equipment, even though they need to start paying back the US financially in some form or fashion sooner or later.

Either that or they go to Russia for some Sue's or France for Mirages, and considering their involvement in liberating their country, I don't think that should happen!

AirRyan

Honestly I thought we would have built a huge base there by now, or maybe just keep one of their military airbases. Oh wait, maybe we already have but we just haven't made the announcement? Did you hear the price Germany sold their elderly MiG-29A's to Poland - like 1 euro a piece.

AirRyan

Speaking of new permanent US military bases in the Mid East...

McCain Calls for Permanent Afghan Bases

Tue Feb 22, 8:10 AM ET World - AP Asia

By STEPHEN GRAHAM, Associated Press Writer

KABUL, Afghanistan - A senior American lawmaker called Tuesday for permanent U.S. bases in Afghanistan (news - web sites) to safeguard American security interests in a region that includes Iran as well as nuclear-armed Pakistan and China.

Sen. John McCain (news, bio, voting record), part of a five-strong U.S. Senate delegation which held talks with President Hamid Karzai, said he was committed to a "strategic partnership that we believe must endure for many, many years.

"Not only for the good of the Afghan people, but also for the good of the American people because of the long-term security interests that we have in the region," McCain told reporters at the presidential palace in the Afghan capital.

Asked what such a partnership would entail, he said: "Economic assistance, technical assistance, military partnership including — and this is a personal view — joint military permanent bases and also cultural exchanges."

McCain, the No. 2 Republican on the Senate Armed Services Committee (news - web sites), didn't elaborate, and Karzai didn't address the issue at a joint news conference.

Afghanistan's neighbors include Pakistan to the east, Iran to the west and China to the northeast.

Officials from the Afghan government and the U.S.-led military coalition in Afghanistan told The Associated Press earlier this month they are examining a military partnership which could include permanent American bases here.

However, Afghan Defense Minister Rahim Wardak has also requested high-tech weaponry such as attack helicopters and special forces for the new U.S.-trained Afghan National Army to reduce the need for foreign troops.

There are currently about 17,000 U.S. forces in Afghanistan, hunting remnants of al-Qaida and the former ruling Taliban.

The Afghan army, which currently numbers about 20,000 and is taking part in counterinsurgency operations in troubled areas near the Pakistani frontier, is to reach its full strength of 70,000 by the end of 2006.

Other members of the U.S. delegation, which arrived in Kabul after stops in Baghdad and Islamabad, also backed long-term U.S.-Afghan ties but gave no specifics.

Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (news - web sites), a New York Democrat, said she hoped to expand a "friendship and partnership which is very important to the United States and something that we believe very strongly is in the interests of both" countries.

Karzai limited himself to expressing thanks.

"It is because of help from the United States that Afghanistan has what it has today: Be it in reconstruction, be it in economy, in elections, in the very fact that this is a country that is now owning itself."

The other senators were Republicans Susan Collins of Maine and Lindsey Graham of South Carolina and Russ Feingold, a Democrat from Wisconsin. All but Feingold are members of the Armed Services Committee, which oversees the Defense Department budget.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050222/ap_on_re_as/afghan_us_bases

Grant

I think that long term bases in Afghanistan and Iraq would be good, similar to our forces in Germany, Japan, etc. Besides, we're entitled to them, right? Spoils of war... Or is that type of thinking outdated?

Not to mention that keeping bases over there would keep the so-called "moderate" governments that we've established on short leashes, again much like what we did after WW2.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes, but that implies that the governments will LET us have the bases. There seems to be a significant fraction of the populace in Iraq that wants us gone ASAP, even if they don't like the insurgents. What are we going to do if they say "no?" If/when the Iraqi government asks us to leave, we either do so or give the lie to every moral reason we have for being over there. That's the price you pay for being the good guys.

That said, I'm sure if the mullahs across the border get a bug up their collective rear ends, our good friends in Iraq will be begging us to help pull their bacon out of the fire . . .

KBayDog

Two questions:

1. Will McDonalds, BK, or Subway get the contract?

2. Will the NAS Baghdad commissary be smaller than the one at Whiting?

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It'll be AAFES. Meaning sh!tty "Anthony's Pizza" and "Robin Hood Subs" furthering the cause of indigestion and crap food even further.

Status
Not open for further replies.