• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

GOUGE Recruiters and AirWarriors (Version 2016)

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Admins, request sticky if possible.

About 10 years ago, RockyMtnNFO created a thread to give an insider scoop on the life of an officer recruiter. While some of the information remains the same, much has changed in which I believe needs to be addressed.

First and foremost, I've been in recruiting for over three years now. Three years as a recruiting division officer (essentially officer in charge of a geographical area) and currently as the Assistant Operations Officer overseeing everything officer recruiting related for the NRD (Navy Recruiting District), so I've been able to see and experience recruiting from the field itself as well as from the top.

Secondly, many folks here on AirWarriors are lucky to have some recruiters, past and present on here. We do our best to provide information (such as boards schedules and any big processing changes), especially the active duty/fleet folks who are often left out in the dark during the process. Most of the time, applicants know (or should know) the working relationship between themselves and us on here. However, at other times this privilege has been abused. So with that being said, WE ARE NOT YOUR RECRUITER. It is not my job on here to check CIRIMS, you have an actual recruiter for that. Also, before you do post please answer the following questions:

1. Can my question be answered by a simple search?
or (most important)
2. Can my question be answered by my recruiter?

A recruiter's job is to assist you and field any questions or concerns you have during the entire application, from simply learning about the Navy, to surviving OCS, to what to expect in flight school and/or the fleet. Furthermore, there's a highly likely chance your question/concern has already been asked and even addressed on here. Another thing I get commonly is "my recruiter sucks". Okay, care to elaborate? Even so, there might be miscommunication or something that really isn't nothing. If you're having issues with your OR, you need to have a sit down talk and address them. If they can't or won't be addressed, then please bring them up to the local NRD AOPS or ACR for further action. More than likely you're going to have a shitty department head, XO, and even CO that you have no choice but to work for. Consider your shitty OR experience a lesson on how not to be when you get to the fleet.

Moving to recruiters... your recruiter is very likely busy. Not solely from recruiting duty, but other collateral and even personal duties outside of work. If your OR is an officer, they're also likely a Division Officer responsible for both enlisted and officer recruiting and the 15-30 personnel assigned. If your OR is enlisted, they have other duties as well like PRT and CPO-365 coordinator that can take time away from the office. Also, both officer and enlisted ORs can be occupied conducting internal investigations. I cannot tell you how many times I've had to set aside 1-2 days of actual work to investigate a recruiter forging signatures. These duties tend to have high priority (aka by CO/XO) and so they'll have priority over working applicants. Finally, recruiting duty is shore duty. For officers, most of them are working on their master's (including me) on their off-time or polishing up that resume for civilian life (most ORs tend to separate or retire after their recruiting tour). For everyone else, recruiting duty is an opportunity to be away from deployments for a couple of years and enjoy normal family life once again. Remember, recruiters are people too. We have emergencies and of course we take leave. That whole "you get 30 days of paid vacation a year" slogan we sold you on... yes that applies to us as well.

There's three types of officer recruiters out there: Fleet officers, enlisted, and reserve officers. For the reserve officers, they have an opportunity to get back on active duty for a couple of years and recruit in their hometown. For the other two, it's an opportunity to get on shore duty usually somewhere near a desired geographical area. Also, some enlisted ORs are career recruiting force (CRF) meaning they do recruiting until they retire (or get kicked out, that's bad), but I'll get back to that later. The old stigma has been that only ORs or good ORs are strictly officers. That's not true whatsoever. A good OR is not determined by pay grade. I've personally seen some terrible ORs that are O-4s and some amazing ORs who are E-7s and E-6s. Hell, the National OR of the Year a few years ago was an E-5 (at the time) out of Raleigh. Anything is possible.

(to be continued...)

FormerRecruitingGuru

(part 2)

Many of you here on this forum are trying to be pilots; the Navy's need to be pilots changes over time. Right now, in 2016 there's a good demand for Pilots and NFOs. Who knows, the demand might dwindle down in a few years. Needless to say, pilot and NFO applicants are a dime a dozen in the recruiting world. Your best shot for not only getting selected but also your recruiter's attention is to study and ace the ASTB exam and earn a high GPA. Those two stats will catch your recruiter's attention and at times bend over backwards to get you in. The political science major, 2.5 GPA, 45/5/5/5 ASTB scores will be given the least amount of attention, meaning you will be facing an uphill battle to get your paperwork done and submitted to the next board. Also, as of 2016 Pilot/NFO is a ROLLING BOARD, meaning they convene whenever enough kits have been received and Navy Recruiting Command (NRC) feels a board is needed. What does that mean? At times us recruiters get little to no notice for an upcoming board. So if you're getting frustrated because an OR doesn't know the next pilot board, you shouldn't because they probably don't know as well.

For other programs (besides SWO), a board schedule is out and available for public view (search!). At times, boards can cancel or merge between two boards. Supply and Intel are the two more guilty programs that do that. Furthermore, some programs, especially DCO only meet once a year. Please plan accordingly so you're not waiting over a year to get selected.

Once you are in the application process, you need to develop a good relationship with your recruiter. Different ORs have different processes/methods, get to know them. If your recruiter wants your to complete the SF-86 or APSR in a week, you get it done no later than a week. As a potential Naval Officer, this is by far the easiest thing you'll ever do. If you cannot fill out basic paperwork or study for an exam, what makes you think you'll get through OCS, flight school, or even be a successful officer when you make it to the fleet? Keep constant communication with your OR, if you cannot get things done in time due to emergencies/school/etc., let them know. For my applicants who didn't get this done on time, I just assumed they weren't interested anymore and would start shredding paperwork over time. At times, I'd give a verbal warning about deadlines. After that, I considered the applicant to be irrelevant or simply not interested in serving. Be honest about your medical/legal/financial history - we will find out eventually.

Different boards have different criterias for selection. For Pilot/NFO, ASTB and GPA are the two biggest factors. For SWO, it's the OAR and GPA. For SPECWAR/SEALs, your physical fitness scores are what going to help you make it to MINI-BUDS for interviews/screening. Most active IDC programs (Intel, IW, IP, etc.) normally take active duty/prior enlisted over civilian applicants because of their proven experience. For DCO, your applicable military/civilian experience along with the interviews are the biggest factors. For CEC, it's the interview and GPA. For Supply Corps, while not required, a professional interview with an O-5 SUPPO (if you're a civilian applicant) does help the cause. I'm sure I'm missing a few that can be found around AWs.

In summary:

1. I am not your recruiter, please work with your OR.

2. Do not be a D-Bag to your recruiter. Your destiny is in our hands.

3. Apply early and often. Do not take "no" for an answer if not selected and find ways to improve.

4. We're busy and we're human, just like you.

Finally, if you are having a serious problem with your recruiter, I mean serious, like he/she was profane or even inappropriate by all means PM myself or the rest of the ORs out here. There's a fine line to which intervening is the only solution.

Chop07

Supply Officer / Prior Recruiter
Perhaps one of, if not the very best post I have ever read on AW. Absolutely spot on and accurate. We have been recruiting for almost the exact same amount of time and your explanation of how it is, what programs want, the process, etc. is 100% on point. Well done, @RUFiO181 . So for everyone's first "required reading" of their Navy career, I suggest this be it. :)

Renegade One

None
Admins, request sticky if possible.
Got a question for both of you, I guess. As a casual reader of the many threads involving applicants and their ORs, it seems to me the most common frustrations are just "hearing nothing…too hard to reach..never answers my e-mails, etc.".

So my question is: On average, what is the number of officer applicants that your typical OR will have in his/her job jar at any one time? Unless it's huge, I'm wondering why a weekly or bi-weekly short e-mail update to each is too hard, even if it just says
"Good morning. Just wanted to let you know your application is still in process, and there is nothing new to report at this time. I'll keep you informed as soon as I hear anything. Have a great day, LT Bagadonuts"

FormerRecruitingGuru

Got a question for both of you, I guess. As a casual reader of the many threads involving applicants and their ORs, it seems to me the most common frustrations are just "hearing nothing…too hard to reach..never answers my e-mails, etc.".

So my question is: On average, what is the number of officer applicants that your typical OR will have in his/her job jar at any one time? Unless it's huge, I'm wondering why a weekly or bi-weekly short e-mail update to each is too hard, even if it just says
"Good morning. Just wanted to let you know your application is still in process, and there is nothing new to report at this time. I'll keep you informed as soon as I hear anything. Have a great day, LT Bagadonuts"

It depends on the recruiter and the market. A recruiter in a big metro area like San Diego is going to have more activity and applicants than say a rural area like around Oregon. Personally, I came from a metro area and because I had DIVO responsibilities (overseeing enlisted recruiting, personnel, etc.) I probably had about 20 applicants that I'd be juggling at one time. My last NRD was big on the DIVO role and did not want us to be entirely focused on officer recruiting. Normal ORs, say Chiefs or Officers without DIVO duties had maybe 25-30, perhaps even more. Of course, some drop out or become ineligible (failed medical, can't pass ASTB, get arrested, etc.) but new applicants rapidly replace the old/bad ones.

It's difficult to answer your second question/concern because it truly depends on the circumstance. Some ORs are just downright terrible... surprise! They can't multitask, don't check emails regularly, and especially fail to keep applicants informed. Some ORs are just lazy and/or counting down the days/weeks/months until they retire/get out. Finally, some just make simple mistakes. They're new or just let something slip through the cracks. We're all human here.

I always take into account both sides whenever someone on here or at work says "my recruiter sucks" or "my recruiter never gets back to me". When I was in the field I'd get emails from folks all the time saying how they're being neglected because their recruiter doesn't get back to them within a few hours. Relax... Of course, at times the applicant is right and I'd have a talk with the respective recruiter, but for the most part I've seen ORs do their jobs and get back to applicants within a respectable amount of time.

exNavyOffRec

I would often have close to 40 applications in some stage at any one time, but part of that was when we still had BDCP, and my primary job was to recruit, but since I was at the NRD I also got hit with doing investigations and other task.

The DIVO's often ran about what RUFIO said but they had more BS to deal with.

zack13usa

It depends on the recruiter and the market. A recruiter in a big metro area like San Diego is going to have more activity and applicants than say a rural area like around Oregon. Personally, I came from a metro area and because I had DIVO responsibilities (overseeing enlisted recruiting, personnel, etc.) I probably had about 20 applicants that I'd be juggling at one time. My last NRD was big on the DIVO role and did not want us to be entirely focused on officer recruiting. Normal ORs, say Chiefs or Officers without DIVO duties had maybe 25-30, perhaps even more. Of course, some drop out or become ineligible (failed medical, can't pass ASTB, get arrested, etc.) but new applicants rapidly replace the old/bad ones.

I'm running against two people only, no wonder my OR rocks!