• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Refueling F-18's (w/pictures)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaShadowVQ5

Hey all,
A few weeks ago, I was lucky enough to be able to fly up in a contracted 707 for a 4 hour refueling hop. We took off out of Port Hueneme and flew out over Catalina Island, then flew a circular pattern refueling F-18's at around 20,000 ft. There were the two pilots and a flight engineer and me. It was an awesome experience. Those guys really knew how to work as a team. The F-18's would join up on the left wing, step behind and refuel, then form up the right side or the aircraft and wait to be cleared by the flight engineer. Anyway it was an amazing sight to see F-18's fifteen feet away. I sat behind the pilot for most of the flight, but got up to take some photos. At one point we had an F-18 cut in front of our flight path (not very close to us but still), which made the pilots a tad upset. "Hey whats this guy doing?!?!?" (Apparently we were the only one's to cleared for this altitude in this area for safety). Anyway the pilot started banking the aircraft hard right all while an F-18 was being refueled. The landing into Port Hueneme was very impressive too. Because of the air traffic out of LAX, our 707 had to come in at a higher altitude and then descend quickly and make a hard left hand turn for its final approach. I was very much impressed by the professionalism and teamwork by the pilots and flight engineer. It has furthered my desire to become a Pilot and an officer in the greatest Navy on earth.

Alex

fghtpilot

Does anyone know why F/A-18's always carry sidewinders and sparrows? Is it just for protection?

F/A-18 Special tonight on the History Channel at 22:00!!!

petescheu

I can't speak from an operational or fleet standpoint, but I do know that they have ones that aren't actually live ordinance that I know they carry, if it isn't a real one. I also know that for aerodynamic reasons, it actually creates more lift at the wingtip which helps to take out some of the forces on the wing, and it helps to reduce induced drag over the wing.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
From what I know, the aircraft was designed to fly with AIM-9s on the tips. The effect is similiar to that of a winglet, disturbing the airflow from going from above the wing to the bottom via the outer edge. Does anyone know if F-5's were designed that way also?

04Hopeful

EA3 -> IS3 -> Intel O1(hopefully)
Here is some Hornet trivia:

If you look closely at the pictures, you can see little vanes on top of each leading-edge extensions(LEX). These were installed after they learned that heavy vortices from the LEX were causing stress cracks in the root of the vertical stabilizers. If you get a chance to see the F18 upclose you will see it looks like a total afterthought.

Status
Not open for further replies.