• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Rendition

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Apparently this finally broke big in the national news:

Seattle Times

Just wondering what everyone thinks about this? IMHO it's a necissary evil given the current times.....pretty crazy stuff though!

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
MIDNJAC said:
Just wondering what everyone thinks about this? IMHO it's a necissary evil given the current times.....pretty crazy stuff though!
<sarcasm>
The CIA does some secret stuff. NO WAY! Thanks for the breaking news Seattle Times!
</sarcasm>

What was the value in publishing this information that could be related to an active CIA operation?

I won't miss a blink of sleep over the CIA trying to prevent another 9-11 by taking wannabe Bin Ladens and Muhammad Attas out of the picture...

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I'm with you there......it's BS that this kinda stuff gets printed, and then the media complains that the fed. government isn't doing anything to protect the nation. It's exactly these kind of operations that result in us catching the bad guys, probably with the least loss of US/Allied life.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
I find it more interesting that some of these "air traffic watchers" aren't being shut down and that instead this information including tail numbers of supposedly CIA aircraft are posted in the article.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
MIDNJAC said:
Apparently this finally broke big in the national news:

If you look at the article, it is nearly a year old. I remember reading about this stuff in Time and Newsweek quite a while ago as well. Just a thought.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
yeah, my bad.....i just saw it this morning in the paper and then did a yahoo search about it. Maybe our local news is super slow :confused:

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
MIDNJAC said:
yeah, my bad.....i just saw it this morning in the paper and then did a yahoo search about it. Maybe our local news is super slow :confused:

Haha, it's all good. Must be a slow news day: Rita wasn't as bad as expected, the feds seem to be doing a good job so far, Bush is involved, T.O. hasn't done serious bad-mouthing in a while, so what other news is there for the news media to print?

Either way, the article shouldn't really come as a surprise... I mean, there is a reason why we have the CIA.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
DanMav1156 said:
If you look at the article, it is nearly a year old. I remember reading about this stuff in Time and Newsweek quite a while ago as well. Just a thought.

It didn't get the legs they wanted the first time. So they trot it out again and see if they can get any BS to stick to the wall this time. Most Americans feel the way you guys do. That is why you don't see the outrage that Time and the Seattle paper want to stir up.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
jamnww said:
I find it more interesting that some of these "air traffic watchers" aren't being shut down and that instead this information including tail numbers of supposedly CIA aircraft are posted in the article.

Your kidding, right? If the CIA is stupid enough to get cought with its pants down and can't hide the aircraft they own well enough then it is their fault, not the aircraft spotters.

Plus, how are you going to outlaw an activity that is perfectly legal? I have to question the social lives of people who take the hobby of looking at aircraft far enough to write down thousands of tail numbers and track them around the world with their buddies, but there is nothing illegal about it.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
Flash said:
Plus, how are you going to outlaw an activity that is perfectly legal? I have to question the social lives of people who take the hobby of looking at aircraft far enough to write down thousands of tail numbers and track them around the world with their buddies, but there is nothing illegal about it.

My understanding is that this is at the ends of military runways, if not feel free to correct me. With that in mind I would have to question the legality of it since it is a potential threat to the lives of the air crews serving on those aircraft (military, not the CIA one). Hard to enforce but anyway just what I think.

shortncurly

DanMav1156 said:

Actually, they reported it in the Pensacola News Journal the other day, too. We always get news several days (in this case a year) after the rest of the world!