• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Renounce your Dual Citizenship for OCS?

GregGreek

I was told by my recruiter yesterday that If I get accepted to OCS, that I would have to renounce my Dual Citizenship I have with South Africa. I was born in the US, but received dual citizenship a few years ago because my mother is from South Africa. Recruiter said I would be able to apply for OCS with a dual citizenship, but would need to renounce it as soon as I know if I am accepted in order to go into service. Would like to know if this is all true (stupid question; as you cant fight for one country while being a citizen of another; but if anyone has any experience I'd like to hear)
Thanks guys!

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
There was recent thread on this exact topic. Have you had a chance to search around the website?

Renegade One

None
I admit to not having done the "due diligence" by searching the website...my bad (actually, my "lack of interest"). But here's my $.02...

If you want to "suit up" and fight for this country, you have to be "all in". No do-overs, no second chances, no "bail-out other citizenships" that you can whip out of your pocket and throw in someone's face and claim "My loyalties are conflicted here!"

Pick one...or the other...for military service. If you need to renounce one to serve the other...oh, well. Choose wisely...it will define your life. That's as "fair and balanced" as I can make it. I like the Springboks, however...

GregGreek

I admit to not having done the "due diligence" by searching the website...my bad (actually, my "lack of interest"). But here's my $.02...

If you want to "suit up" and fight for this country, you have to be "all in". No do-overs, no second chances, no "bail-out other citizenships" that you can whip out of your pocket and throw in someone's face and claim "My loyalties are conflicted here!"

Pick one...or the other...for military service. If you need to renounce one to serve the other...oh, well. Choose wisely...it will define your life. That's as "fair and balanced" as I can make it. I like the Springboks, however...
Thanks for the reply. I was just asking for anyones experience if they had gone through the same thing. I understand fully that I will be fighting for the United States, the country I was born and raised, the country that has made me what I am today, so there will be no conflicts of loyalty.
Go Springboks, and Sharks (Rugby) though haha.

GregGreek

Not big deal, just asking for experiences, as I will have to do this myself, and making sure that last min my recruiter does not say, "Oh crap we cant submit your package because your a dual citizen." Thanks guys.