• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Report: U.S. Activates Missile Defense System Over N. Korea Test

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,200263,00.html

TOKYO — The United States has activated its new ground-based interceptor missile defense system in response to a possible North Korean missile test, according to a published report.

A Washington Times story in Tuesday's editions says the United States is considering intercepting the missile if North Korea goes ahead with the test.

Looks like we may get to see this thing in action...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
NK missile "test"??? Wonder if this is why 25% of our carrier force is in the Western Pacific operating together ... ???

Naaaaaaaa ..... just a coincidence .... it's been scheduled forever .... :)

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Brett327 said:
I know it will never happen (except in the unlikely event that their missile heads for LA), but it would kick some serious a$$ if we downed their test shot. "How do you like that, b!tches?" after we shot down one of their missiles.

Brett

O man, I'd love to just see Kim Jong Ill's (or however the heck you spell it) face if President Bush were to say "Coooomo esstaaaan beeeeetcheeeesss?!"

Man, my MS Paint skillz are so 1337! :)

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
Brett327 said:
I know it will never happen (except in the unlikely event that their missile heads for LA), but it would kick some serious a$$ if we downed their test shot. "How do you like that, b!tches?"

Brett

But what would happen if we miss? What does that say about the system, if anything?

And for that matter (tin foil hat time) what if we know its going to splash in the Pacific... and deliberately miss to make NK think we can't shoot their missiles down...:D

Lonestar155

is good to go
As far as the United States missile defesnse system, are you speaking of the lazer that is used aboard that Airforce 747 to de-activate missile computers?

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
I hate to be a jerk Lonestar... but RTFA... (emphasis mine)
TOKYO — The United States has activated its new ground-based interceptor missile defense system in response to a possible North Korean missile test, according to a published report.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A4sForever said:
NK missile "test"??? Wonder if this is why 25% of our carrier force is in the Western Pacific operating together ... ???

Naaaaaaaa ..... just a coincidence .... it's been scheduled forever .... :)

Maybe this has something to do with it.....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060616/ts_alt_afp/nkoreamissilemilitary_060616195410

"Six-party talks came to a head in September 2005, with North Korea agreeing in principle to end its atomic weapons program.

But talks collapsed two months later, after the United States imposed financial sanctions on Pyongyang for alleged US dollar counterfeiting and money laundering activities.

North Korea refused to come back to the table unless sanctions were lifted, while the United States did not budge, saying it cannot compromise on issues such as counterfeiting that threaten national sovereignty.
"

More stories:

http://english.chosun.com/w21data/html/news/200602/200602030001.html

http://canberra.usembassy.gov/hyper/2005/0915/epf405.htm

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
pennst8 said:
But what would happen if we miss? What does that say about the system, if anything?
Well, that's always a concern and it certainly wouldn't look good if we were trying to make a point. That was an issue for the proposed nuclear "show of force" option presented to Truman at the end of WWII. I'd be willing to bet that they'll use this opportunity to use the system to detect and track a real world target, but just won't launch an interceptor.

Brett

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett327 said:
Well, that's always a concern and it certainly wouldn't look good if we were trying to make a point. That was an issue for the proposed nuclear "show of force" option presented to Truman at the end of WWII. I'd be willing to bet that they'll use this opportunity to use the system to detect and track a real world target, but just won't launch an interceptor.

Brett

Brett can be pretty smart sometimes........just sometimes ;)

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
pennst8 said:

And for that matter (tin foil hat time) what if we know its going to splash in the Pacific... and deliberately miss to make NK think we can't shoot their missiles down...:D

That's why I don't think the ABMs will be fired unless we are 1) sure it will work and/or 2) are certain the NK missile is aimed at the US. If we shoot at a test shot and miss, we will look like complete ass-clowns.

Also, the deterrent value of missile defense lies in its uncertainty. Other countries know that it MIGHT work well enough to blunt their attack while subjecting them to severe retaliation. If we demonstrate a bogus missile defense, part one of that formula is gone.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The same ABM that has cost billions and can't even hit a preplanned target that is broadcasting a constantly updating 3D GPS position? DETERRENT!

BugDriver

pilot
phrogdriver said:
That's why I don't think the ABMs will be fired unless we are 1) sure it will work and/or 2) are certain the NK missile is aimed at the US.

I think the location of our Ground Based Interceptors' launch facility in Alaska precludes us from trying to shoot down their Taepodong if it's NOT aimed [somewhat] at us.

Attachments

• gbiekv-001_s.jpg
    gbiekv-001_s.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 40