• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Requesting an extension for an OCS date

baryon

Greetings, again.

I finally got the word on final selection (yes), but have a bit of a problem. I'm not sure if I'm going to finish grad school by the time I'm supposed to go to OCS (Jan 07). I'm pretty sure I won't finish by then, but also pretty sure I'll finish in a few months thereafter. My recruiter told me it should be no problem to delay the OCS date by a few months, but he's moved on, himself, to graduate school and I can't contact him anymore.

Does anyone have any idea if:
1) I can request a later OCS date, and if so,
2) How, and
3) What people's experiences have been, requesting such things, if at all.

Thank you for your time.

Kycntryboy

pilot
Don't have a definite answer but it seems it would matter on what your degree was in and if it would help your pipeline, the more applicable it is the more likely it would seem that they would be willing to delay. I know they obviously do for bachelor's but masters seems like it would be different considering your already qualified to start. $.02

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Stay in touch with whoever replaced your recruiter. If you're going straight OCS (i.e., they're not paying you), I don't think they'll have a problem, especially if it's the same fiscal year.

What designator are you going in as? That might have something to do with your date, since it seems like they try to get the SC/RL folks commissioned close to when their school starts. Exception to this would be supply, because that's probably as large as some of the URL communities.

baryon

It's straight up OCS; I don't owe the Navy anything yet. I'm going as pilot. What does SC/RL stand for? (RL = restricted line?) (SC?)

There isn't a new replacement for my recruiter yet. I just talked with my processor (I'm not sure how many NRDs have them), who also said it shouldn't be a big deal, so I'm feeling okay about it.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
It's straight up OCS; I don't owe the Navy anything yet. I'm going as pilot. What does SC/RL stand for? (RL = restricted line?) (SC?)

You're right on RL, SC is Staff Corps.

Since you're going in as a pilot, obviously the first step after commissioning is API, which classes up more frequently than say...Intel school. I think you'll be all right with moving it back, now it's just a matter of contacting someone who can make it happen. I'd make sure that you don't commission after Sept 30 so you can stay in FY 07.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Yeah... new fiscal year. Can screw with all kinds of stuff... like not flying for 3 weeks cuz you're not a "priority student"

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
WTF? I thought the Navy got more money when the new year started.

Exactly, but different piles of money are allotted for different things and you may not be able to pay for something last year with this year's funds. It can make a difference.

Brett

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Why?

Does something happen in '08?

Right...like others have said, he's currenlty been accepted for a FY07 SNA slot. If he rolls into '08, he'd be vacating a slot that the Navy would need to fill. Needs of the navy change from FY to FY, so there could be a different amount of slots left for FY08, especially if there was an unusually high number of FY08 BDCPers which would mean less slots for off the street OCS guys...you get the point.

baryon

Heh, well, there's no worry about that. I'll be 27 in July, so I gotta go before FY 08 starts anyhow. Thanks for the heads up on funding issues in general, though.

Kycntryboy

pilot
Heh, well, there's no worry about that. I'll be 27 in July, so I gotta go before FY 08 starts anyhow. Thanks for the heads up on funding issues in general, though.

It doesn't work on when you start, but rather when you finish OCS, my class was the last one of the fiscal year 06, we graduated Friday 29 SEP. We started July 9th, A class started one week after us graduating this Friday is the first class of 07. Just in case you weren't aware of that.

baryon

What I mean is that I have to be commissioned by the time I'm 27, so subtract at least 3 months from July, and I'll be starting sometime around the end of March, 07.