• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Retaking classes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kulderas

Unfortunately, for the first 1 1/2 years of college I had a little too much fun and got alot of C's in easy core classes like geography, geology, history, etc...

Fortunately, I have matured, and my grades have improved. But due to the C's that I got in those classes, it is a struggle to get my GPA above a 3.0, even though I have scored 3.1+ each semester since. During my last year of school, I should have alot of room to take some electives or retake those core classes that are hurting me. I guess my question is, is it worth it to retake those classes? How will the board/recruiters look at this? There are a few classes out there that I would like to take instead of retaking these, but I would retake them if it would really improve my chances. Anyone else have any experience with this? Thanks.

Josh

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
If the new grade doesn't replace an old one, getting an A in something new would be the same to your GPA as getting an A in a repeated course. I would think you're better off taking the classes you want, not stuff from your first 1.5 years.

Kulderas

Oh ya, I guess I forgot to mention that it DOES in fact replace the lower grade. Hehe, ya, it would be pointless to retake them if it didn't. So what do you say now? :icon_mi_1

NeoCortex

Castle Law for all States!!!
pilot
It replaces them for the SCHOOL. Both of the grades are still on your transcript. the Navy will take all of your grades and reconfig your GPA. Businesses also do this. So even though your school GPA might not reflect this, the true GPA will.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yep....same thing would happen if you applied to law school later down the road.

Jolly Roger

Yes. I am a Pirate.
Steve Wilkins said:
Yep....same thing would happen if you applied to law school later down the road.

The navy reconfigures your GPA, differently than the school?

Do they take the sum of the total number of points you earned for every class you have taken and divide by the sum of the total number hours you have ever taken? (Total points/total hours)?

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Let's just say that you're not going to fool the Navy....unless of course that first grade is completely stricken from your transcript. I imagine that's not very likely though.

NeoCortex

Castle Law for all States!!!
pilot
I'm not sure how the Navy does it, but Law Schools, Med School... They weigh the grades differently. If you took Underwater Basket Weaving 101, it's not going to count as much as Organic Chm. Navy might or might not do it the same way.

Jolly Roger

Yes. I am a Pirate.
NeoCortex said:
I'm not sure how the Navy does it, but Law Schools, Med School... They weigh the grades differently. If you took Underwater Basket Weaving 101, it's not going to count as much as Organic Chm. Navy might or might not do it the same way.

Thanks for the info Neo! I wandered if they took that into consideration, all the classes I made C's in were entry level chemistry, psych, math (which I retook a couple of times :icon_rage ), and a 400 level history class.

I have made at least B's in all my physics classes, upper level math classes, and upper level history classes. (majoring in History and Physics, minoring in Mathematics).

Kulderas

Ouch, thats bad news for me. I had to retake Calc II. Now I have even a worse chance than I first expected...lol, better get my arse in gear. :p

Josh

Status
Not open for further replies.