• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Retinal Surgery before PRK disqualifying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyboy21

My doc back home says that because my diopters are so bad, (around -6.25), that he recommends I get retinal surgery to prevent any complications that PRK might cause my retina. However, I'm concerned that NAMI would never grant a waiver to someone who's had any kind of eye surgery other than PRK. I've looked all through the BUPERS and NAMI websites and can't find anything that talks about retinal surgery or waivers for it and how it relates to PRK as far as the Navy's concerned. Anybody got any word on this?

Kenth02

I all I know is that PRK in the only acceptable waiver for CLASS I and CLASS II (SNA OR SNFO)and to be considered for a PRK study, you need to have a +/-6.00 dio. You may want to check in on what the USAF requirments are for PRK.

stevew

flyboy, my prescription was worse than yours and my doc never recommended retinal surgery. Maybe he's recommending it for a different reason? Find another doc and see what he says, because something here doesn't sound right to me.

Kenth02, your gouge is incorrect for the limit on PRK waivers. As far as I know the AF will only grant waivers up to -5.50 but the Navy/MC will grant one up to -8.00

Kenth02

Hey stevew, this PRK issue is very confusing time to time, I was told by the OSO that the requirements for PRK had changed this year to +/-6.00. However if your heard differently thank you for notifing me about it. But to the best of my knowledge it is +/-6.00 and I think that what it says on the NAMI website as well.

wildflyin69

Grad of OCS 187 Charlie Co. 3rd Plt.
Last I saw..it was waivers for up to +/- 8.00 with a 6 month wait and +/- 6.00 had a 3 month wait.

Daedalus

Flyboy, triple check this with other doctors.(from different places) Is retinal surgery invasive? It sounds extreme, don't get your arm amputated for sunburn. Check other doctors and Costom/wavefront, this might help your situation if there is indeed some issue with your retina.

Jagraboz

I would definitely get more opinions from other doctors, because while -6.25 is not great, its not the worst. I am worse than that and I'm hoping to get PRKed down the road too. For instance, the lasers are FDA approved up to something like -12.00 (Don't quote me though, and good luck getting waived with that number lol). Anyway, I would definitely seek a second opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.