• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Revealed: Israel plans nuclear strike on Iran

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Revealed: Israel plans nuclear strike on Iran
ISRAEL has drawn up secret plans to destroy Iran’s uranium enrichment facilities with tactical nuclear weapons.

Two Israeli air force squadrons are training to blow up an Iranian facility using low-yield nuclear “bunker-busters”, according to several Israeli military sources.

The attack would be the first with nuclear weapons since 1945, when the United States dropped atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. The Israeli weapons would each have a force equivalent to one-fifteenth of the Hiroshima bomb.

Under the plans, conventional laser-guided bombs would open “tunnels” into the targets. “Mini-nukes” would then immediately be fired into a plant at Natanz, exploding deep underground to reduce the risk of radioactive fallout.
Some sources in Washington said they doubted if Israel would have the nerve to attack Iran. However, Dr Ephraim Sneh, the deputy Israeli defence minister, said last month: “The time is approaching when Israel and the international community will have to decide whether to take military action against Iran.”
So, whose gonna call their bluff?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I've said it before, I'll say it again (and again, if necessary) ... the Israelis will NOT allow the Iranians to get "the bomb". They WILL pull the trigger, and if we're not "in there" in some capacity -- we will not be able to control nor influence the situation.

For the Jews .... it's called survival .... it's something we could learn from them. As opposed to wanting everyone to "love" us .... :)

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
Right on the money A4s. Here is a blog you should take a look at:
http://joelrosenberg.blogspot.com/

It's from Joel Rosenberg, a noted author who is an evangelical Christian from an Orthodox Jew background, and whom I have had the privilege of getting to know personally. He is an advisor to several top Israeli leaders and, in fact, is leaving for Israel tomorrow (he lives in DC). He also briefs many of our leaders in the White House, Congress and Pentagon on a regular basis.

He is crystal clear: the Israelis make the assumption that no one will act for them and Iran's leader is not bluffing when he says he wants to destroy them, so it's "fight's on."

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Doesn't really sound like much of a secret....at least now. Didn't Iran spread much of their program, not put all that's needed into one facility, like Iraq? Of course I have no clue what's required at a nuclear facility, one who's purpose is create a weapon but it is something I heard on the news I think.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've said it before, I'll say it again (and again, if necessary) ... the Israelis will NOT allow the Iranians to get "the bomb". They WILL pull the trigger, and if we're not "in there" in some capacity -- we will not be able to control nor influence the situation.

For the Jews .... it's called survival .... it's something we could learn from them. As opposed to wanting everyone to "love" us .... :)
I HATE to agree with A4's, but he's spot on with this one. When push comes to shove, the Israelis will not hesitate to make the first strike. They've done it before and they'll do it again....whether we back them up or not.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
They've done it before and they'll do it again....whether we back them up or not.

+3... and as A4's suggested...doesn't it make you long for the days when we weren't pansies ourselves?:D

It is pretty smart international politiking though. It's like the conundrum in Dr. Strangelove with the Doomsday device. Force is almost as effective a tool when threatened, but only if the other guy knows you have it...and knows you will use it.
Of course I have no clue what's required at a nuclear facility, one who's purpose is create a weapon but it is something I heard on the news I think.

Trouble is, it depends on what kind of yield you want. The primary natural isotope of uranium, which is where any weapon starts is U-238. This is fissile, but essentially not quickly or densely enough for a weapon...so...from there you have to enrich. Several possibilities.

Gaseous diffusion..Basically pass the naturally occuring U, in gaseous through big diffusion columns seperating the -235 from -238...-235 becomes reactor fuel, or bomb materials. Think Oak Ridge...there really is no small way to do this one.
ORP-619.jpg

They also experimented with two other methods there...namely electromagnetic separation and liquid thermal diffusion. The other method to enrich U is centerfugation...All of these require big equipment...large factory level stuff that is very expensive and hard to move.

Enrichment to weapons grade, which is about 90% U-235 (less than a percent of which is naturally occuring) is very difficult and expensive...so many countries skip it altogether and enrich to fuel grade levels. Civilian reactors operate with U enriched to about the 3-4% range. With this U, you can build a reactor which will "breed" weapons useful isotopes and elements such as Plutonium. The French are especially gifted with these "breeder reactors". The beauty of a breeder reactor is that naturally occuring U, (U-238) is actually more effective than enriched U. As a result, they can often be stand alone weapons plants, since very little processing (comparatively) of natural U is required. Even these however are large, immobile objects. Consider trying to hide something the size of your friendly, neighborhood power plant. Weapons assembly and storage points are easier to conceal obviously. This makes it imperative that one wanting to prevent weapons creation eliminate the source of weapon material because once you get that...you could build a bomb in your basement...literally.

WBGTSNA

NPQ from SNA
Contributor
I think that this is the most plausible scenario (from CNN.com):

"I refuse to believe that anyone here would consider using nuclear weapons against Iran," Reuven Pedatzur, a prominent defense analyst and columnist for the daily Haaretz, told the AP. "It is possible that this was a leak done on purpose, as deterrence, to say 'someone better hold us back, before we do something crazy."'

Ephraim Kam, a strategic expert at Tel Aviv University's Institute for National Strategic Studies and a former senior army intelligence officer, also dismissed the report.

"No reliable source would ever speak about this [if Israel were planning to actually strike], certainly not to the Sunday Times," Kam said.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I HATE to agree with A4's....
Not to worry, Steve ... I unnerstan', I unnerstan' ... truly, truly ... it's called "tough love" :)... and with apology's to Roberts and Fisher, here's what "Steve" really means .... although in a slightly edited (*) version:

"... You always hurt the one you love
The one you shouldn't hurt at all
You always take the sweetest rose
And crush it till the petals fall
You always break the kindest heart
With a hasty word you can't recall

So If (*you*) broke (*my*) heart last night
It's because
(*you*) love (*me*) most of all..."

1eh9.jpg

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
...."No reliable source would ever speak about this [if Israel were planning to actually strike], certainly not to the Sunday Times," Kam said.

But YOU would speak to the Sunday Times, and expect to be taken seriously .... is that it Mr. Kam ???

Huh??? Oh, that's right ... he said ... a "reliable source". :)

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Doesn't really sound like much of a secret....at least now. Didn't Iran spread much of their program, not put all that's needed into one facility, like Iraq? Of course I have no clue what's required at a nuclear facility, one who's purpose is create a weapon but it is something I heard on the news I think.

The Iranians ain't stupid, they learned from their former foes mistake (they even struck the Osirak facility themselves, it was more than just a reactor, a few months before the Israelis). As for 'low yeild' nukes doing the job........:icon_roll

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
This only hurts us as well... how do the Israelis get from point A to point B???

Can't do it without at least the perception of American involvement... and what does that do for us?

Lawman

None
This only hurts us as well... how do the Israelis get from point A to point B???

dolphin_co107_idf-navy.jpg

The detection that the submarines were equipped with two types of torpedo tubes (533mm and 650mm respectively) fueled speculation that the submarine might have a possible nuclear role, given that 533mm torpedo tubes would have been sufficient for the weaponry that was to be installed on board.

When questioned about this in parliament, the German government confirmed the presence of the 650mm tubes in the Dolphin submarines but could not provide an explanation, other than that the tubes were to be fitted with liners upon delivery to reduce the tubes' diameters to 533mm. Because 50% of design rights are reported to belong to Israel, and, as a result it had no 'design authority', the German government claimed that it could not have any knowledge of the larger tubes' purpose. The four larger 25.5 inch diameter torpedo tubes could be used to launch a long-range nuclear-capable submarine-launched cruise missile (SLCM). According to some reports the submarines may be capable of carrying nuclear-armed Popeye Turbo cruise missiles, with a goal of deterring an enemy from trying to take out its nuclear weapons with a surprise attack.