• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

RF-8 Video Clip

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
I still remember that scene from the theaters 9 years ago. That quad-mount DShK is pretty impressive. Would the Cubans/Soviets have had that much time to react to a pair of jets scooting along at 300-400 kts like that?

Flugelman

Contributor
I still remember that scene from the theaters 9 years ago. That quad-mount DShK is pretty impressive. Would the Cubans/Soviets have had that much time to react to a pair of jets scooting along at 300-400 kts like that?

Probably not. I know that at Warner Springs we only had about 5 seconds, if any, warning when the F-8s from Miramar came screaming over at about 300 ft.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wing starts out horribly acute on the section go and flies below lead at low level. Bad show. :icon_tong:icon_tong

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot

DShK or is it a ZPU-4? Either way, my inner pedant thanks you for using the proper spelling of DShK :)

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Great website with actual photos, history, personal accounts and great links regarding VFP-62 RF-8 ops over cuba.
LINK

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Would the Cubans/Soviets have had that much time to react to a pair of jets scooting along at 300-400 kts like that?

That would be way slow, they would have been going as fast as jet could go unless there was a sensor limitation.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
DShK or is it a ZPU-4? Either way, my inner pedant thanks you for using the proper spelling of DShK :)
I'm gonna' go w/ a AAA variant of the [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]12.7mm (.50 cal) DShK heavy machinegun[/FONT] (maybe even made 'special' for the movie) because of the relative 'nimbleness' of the mount and the type of muzzle break(s) ...

By the way ... you can buy one for £2,995
.... :)

dshkhmg1.jpg

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
I love when Kevin Costner (in a horrible Boston accent) tells him 'you will not get shot down!'

Like any pilot going into a combat mission is actually trying to get shot down....

What, you want me to come back from this mission??? I better go redo my jet logs since I was planning on getting tagged over the target area.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
300-400 kts ??? ... in daylight ???

Pish-tosh ...
:)

under500a.tif
:eek::eek: Yikes! Better you than me!!!

We may have sometimes flown as low and even faster, but only during daylight. thankfully. :)

[Edit: Now I finally know why our VA-115 guys wandered around the boat with big, round, owl-eyes all the time.]