• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

RFI: Prescription Steroids

SnipeDude

Cleveland Brown Fan
I am currently a STA-21 OC seeing a Civilian Doctor through Tricare Prime Remote. She believes I may have a congenital hormonal deficiency for which the treatment would be testosterone therapy. This is a QOL issue (energy, attention, muscle development) rather than being health threatening. Therefore, I am holding off on getting tested until I know what effect it would have on my Naval career.

I am scheduled to be commissioned in May and will be either a NFO or SWO. The steroids would greatly help my PRT scores (while I am an EXC-HIGH runner I can barely make GOOD-LOW on pushups even though I have been working on it for three years now). Also, I am five months shy of the 8-year mark where if the Navy decides to ditch me they would have to medically retire me.

Bottom line...does anyone have any anecdotal experience as to whether or not prescription steroid use will derail my (1) hopes for aviation, (2) commissioning, or (3) Naval career???

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I am currently a STA-21 OC seeing a Civilian Doctor through Tricare Prime Remote. She believes I may have a congenital hormonal deficiency for which the treatment would be testosterone therapy. This is a QOL issue (energy, attention, muscle development) rather than being health threatening. Therefore, I am holding off on getting tested until I know what effect it would have on my Naval career.

I am scheduled to be commissioned in May and will be either a NFO or SWO. The steroids would greatly help my PRT scores (while I am an EXC-HIGH runner I can barely make GOOD-LOW on pushups even though I have been working on it for three years now). Also, I am five months shy of the 8-year mark where if the Navy decides to ditch me they would have to medically retire me.

Bottom line...does anyone have any anecdotal experience as to whether or not prescription steroid use will derail my (1) hopes for aviation, (2) commissioning, or (3) Naval career???

If this is something that's being done under the aegis of Navy medical personnel, then I wouldn't worry about its ramifications for your PRT or commissioning. As to the aeromedical issue, your condition doesn't appear to be listed in the NOMI waiver guide, but ultimately that's something you're going to have to discuss with a flight doc. There are a couple here on AW that can probably give you a general idea though.

Brett

SnipeDude

Cleveland Brown Fan
If this is something that's being done under the aegis of Navy medical personnel, then I wouldn't worry about its ramifications for your PRT or commissioning. Brett

I am on Tricare Prime Remote so I am seeing a Civilian doctor.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
I would definitely contact a military provider and discuss the situation with them. I was in the same situation (prime remote, not prescrip steroids) and had a broken wrist which required surgery while at school STA-21. I made them postpone because there was no way I was going to proceed without talking to NAMI/NOMI.

I know nothing about your specific case, but DO NOT proceed without a go ahead from a Navy Flight Doc/medical provider.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Well, if you're an OC, you could request the unit to cut you some TAD orders to go to Lemoore, Point Mugu, or San Diego to see a no-kidding flight doc. They're gonna have more resources at their disposal than any of us. We're short on flight surgeons on here; and aside from the online aeromedical waiver guide, there's not much else we can really reference for you. Best to get it straight from the horse.